Are baby slings a waste of money?

I got on Amy Coe sling for my shower, I put it on today and it felt uncomterable and werid (w/o baby in it). Are they a waste of money? Did you find one that you used and liked, or am I wasting my time?

heatmac4

Asked by heatmac4 at 9:24 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never liked them. One of those things that looks like a good idea but never really works for yourself.lol
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 9:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• At times i wish I had one because it would be so much easier to get things done around the house when DD wants to be held and I don't have time. I think you should give a try DEF.!!
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I liked mine, I wish I had one with my first. I always lol'ed at the hicks around here who would say "is thare a baby in thare?" like what else would it be? lol
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I have one and I think it's great! Especially if you are breatfeeding. I still use mine and my dd is six months now, but they are more helpful when you have a little newborn that doesn't want to be put down, and a house to clean or supper to make or your just going for a walk and don't want to lug around a big stroller.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• If you dont have back problems it will help you but if your back hurts it might not be the best depending on the kind you get. By the time we got on my daughter was too big for me because of my back pain I couldn't hold her long. But it's nice you don't have to worry about not having enough hands
    Momma2be012408

Answer by Momma2be012408 at 9:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• maybe yours just not the right size! do you have the receipt? I love my sling. I have a hotsling which is like a pouch and can be used with a hip carry position for older babies. my son is very active and walking so he doesnt like the sling anymore. but it was wonderful for shopping! and it looked so cute!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• i got one with my second baby and I wish i had it for my first. I used it whenever we were out for a long time and I knew she would get tired of being in her carseat. it freed up my hands so I could help my oldest.
    nudge08

Answer by nudge08 at 10:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• i couldnt use one. i felt like i was hunkered over all the time. plus, i couldnt get close enough to counters or shelves to get anything done. i always felt like i was gonna bang my baby around & i couldnt make the sling any tighter. it might be b/c i have DDs that were swollen from BFing & just couldn't get the sling to fit my body right. my DH used ours a lot & it was comfy for him haha

id at least wait till you get your baby in there to see if you like it or not. its a lot different w/ the baby in it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I use my sling almost everyday. I've been wearing my son since birth, I wore my daughter as well but not as much. Now that I have two I find it even more useful than before.
    My husband also loves to wear our babies.

Honestly, I don't think babywearing is for everyone which is unfortunate because it can be a very enjoyable experience, especially for baby.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I loved mine. It was really helpful when I would have to nurse while out in public. I used it all the time, but my son was soooo tall that he grew out of it quickly.
    1and1make3

Answer by 1and1make3 at 12:01 AM on Mar. 25, 2009