Is it unhealthy for children to sleep in regular clothing?

My son always wants to sleep in his regular clothes. Is this unhealthy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Not at all. As long as their comfy and the clothes aren't dirty by kids can sleep in whatever they want.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I wouldn't say it's unhealthy..The clothes wont last that long but it wont hurt him..Unless he wont take a shower before bed and wants to sleep in the same clothes he's had on all day. That would be kind of bad.
    TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 9:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Nope. My sons will shower and put on the clothes he's gonna wear to school the next day so he can sleep longer. Um, that gives you about 30 seconds of more sleep. The logic of a 12 yr old amazes me.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:06 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I would say that would depend on what he did in his clothes. If he was outside all day and his clothes were terribly soiled, I would say they would probably have a lot of germs that you may not want in his bed. However, if he just stayed in the house, it would probably be fine.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:07 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I used to think it was fine but my x used to scream at me over it. He said the boy shouldn't wear jeans to bed. It causes problems. I have no clue what kind of problems but I did what he said. I agree about the dirty clothes. I've since learned that when they are out and get fleas jumping on them they get in bed and wake up with flea bites! The same about germs like Mishelly said. We also have fire ants here so it's best clothes get removed, kids be bathed and clean clothes put on. I have let the kids sleep in clean sweats then wear them to school the next day but they had to remove them that night. One more thought, my dd's family just went through a thing with lice. You might want to protect your bedding, pillows and kids from spreading those after being in school and possibly coming in contact with those nasty things.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:20 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I would say as long as the clothes are clean why not? My son is 9 and he loves to sleep in his pajamas so he can actually be comfortable, but to each his own....
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:18 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If the clothes are clean and he and you don't mind wrinkles in the clothing it's fine. I think there is a time and place for everything but if it doesn't cause any problems why fight it. Maybe he will decide on his own he doesn't want to wear his clothes to bed on his own if they are uncomfortable. Why does he want to wear his clothes to bed? Is he cold or just doesn't want to change into pj's?
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I don't see a problem with it, another one of those, pick your battles wisely.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:19 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I don't tell my son what to wear to bed except for tight clothes, I buy him pajamas but he still sleeps in his sweat pants sometimes. I just insist that their clean clothes and not jeans or anything that is too tight (waistbands).
    nannabart

Answer by nannabart at 1:18 AM on Mar. 29, 2009