How do you get water out of an ear?

I think my 23 month old daughter got water in her ear while I was giving her a bath. Of course she can't come out and tell me but she keeps saying "ear" and patting it. I don't think it's an ear infection, she just started to complain after her bath and doesn't seem to be in pain. Is there anything I can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• You can put a few drops of alcohol in there.
    Anonymous

• My doctor told me when my daughter was getting swimmer's ear all the time to mix either rubbing alcohol with equal parts water, or vinegar with equal parts water and drop in her ears after swimming. It seems to do the trick in drying that water up. You could give that a try. It couldn't hurt her.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I think we used alcohol as kids and it seemed to work fine, but they also sell something over the counter called "swimmers ear" that is made just for that.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Use rubbing alcohol mixed w/water or hydrogen peroxide. Put a couple drops in the ear, leaning the head to the opposite side for about 30 seconds then tip the head the other direction. The water runs out. Make sure you have a towel ready.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Yup, I have this problem and alcohol is the answer:-)
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 11:08 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Looks like u got some great answers already. also, u could try sticking a dry cottonball in the ear and see if it absorbs the water from her ear it works for me when I get water in my ear good luck
    Anonymous

• I read in a book somewhere that you should tilt your head to the side so that the affected ear is facing the floor. Pull down and slightly forward on the ear, easily. Don't know if this works, haven't had to use it since I read it.
    Mizzjos

Answer by Mizzjos at 10:51 PM on Mar. 25, 2009