How to use Black Cohosh to induce labor?

All I can find is information on how to use the tinctures, but all I could find in the store was the Black Cohosh 540 mg pills, so I got those instead thinking I could surely find something online that said the difference in the recommended opinions for using the tinctures and the pills for inducing labor, but I can't! Anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i dont even know what tinctures are, I have heard of this method before but have no idea what it even is.
    Anonymous

• i have heard that using that to induce labor is very dangerous. Why don't you try something else like walking, sex, nipple stimulation, castor oil, pinapple.... just a suggestion.
    Anonymous

• castor oil is just as bad sorry . i would try the walking , sex , pinnapple, or nipple stimulation insteadd.
    Anonymous

• so i was trying to find you a website to look at about this && basically the things i read were....
    1. You shouldnt take it unless you have someone with you - like a midwife or health care.
    2. usually it wont work unless BLUE cohosh is taken with it.
    3. If you are having irregular contractions - it helps to even them out && make them steady.
    4. Usually if its in pill form, there are directions on how much to take - there are also root forms or liquid forms you can drink in tea.
    5. If you are considering to use Black Cohosh in order to encourage your labor to start naturally, please note that this medicinal herb is known to be one that promotes bleeding. Midwives and doctors have seen several women bleed severely after the pregnant mother had induced her labor with this herb. Also, if a cesarean section is required, the need for blood transfusion from excessive blood loss becomes more likely. Note, also, that if you are anemic,
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Please don't use them! I actually went so far as to go to the herbal store and purchase the pills for $20....before doing any research on side affects. After I did research, and after I had opened the bottle....even I decided it was a BAD idea.

And I've used Castor Oil before to induce labor. I'm openly controversial. but I strongly recommend NOT using this stuff. At least not without the supervision of you OB.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:16 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/BlackCohosh.asp

http://pregnancy.families.com/blog/the-lets-talk-pregnancy-blog-top-ten-how-to-induce-labor-naturally

here are a couple websites about it - i wouldnt take it though - it sounds more dangerous than anything - good luck though
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 10:18 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• castor oil is just as bad sorry .

Phshhhh. Castor oil is yuck. But is works if your body is ready to deliver. I drank TWO full bottles of it the night I went in to labor with my oldest. The baby did not have a bowel movement and even if she had it wasn't THAT big of a deal. The only downfall about castor oils is it is a pretty unpleasant way to push labor. Practice your courtesy flushing if you wanna go that route...you'll need it :)

But I can promise you won't crap on the delivery table :)
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:19 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Don't induce labor if you love your baby, it will come when it is ready, take it from a mom of a toddler fighting cancer, give that baby all the nourishment you can while it is inside you. It will come at its own time otherwise your dr will induce you.
    lolagirlkoch

Answer by lolagirlkoch at 10:26 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• That stuff is dangerous I heard and not good
    Anonymous

• It is impossible to use natural methods to induce unless you are already in early labor - many studies are now proving that. Induction in any form is incredibly dangerous - first and foremost to the baby, but also for the mother. Induction alone raises the chances of c-section which (unless truly medically necessary) should be avoided. MANY things can go wrong. The United States has one of the highest infant mortality rates in the developed world, and I believe the second highest maternal death rate. Coincidentally we have the second highest c-section rate in the world. (behind Brazil which I believe is #1 for maternal death rates) Seems like a lot of risk for nothing. Wait until spontaneous labor starts. It's the PROVEN safest way to go.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 12:39 AM on Mar. 25, 2009