How do you get water out of an ear?

I think my 23 month old daughter got water in her ear while I was giving her a bath. Of course she can't come out and tell me but she keeps saying "ear" and patting it. I don't think it's an ear infection, she just started to complain after her bath and doesn't seem to be in pain. Is there anything I can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The only thing I can think of is to have her lay of her side so that the water will eventually drain on it's own. You could tap the other ear while she laying on her side to kind of help it that's what I did as a child.. But I wouldn't really suggest tapping your daughter in the head..LoL Sorry hope it helps.
    TaterNJo0sMommy

Answer by TaterNJo0sMommy at 10:02 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Have you tried using a hair dryer and blowing warm air into your daughters ear? It would help my son when his ear was hurting. I would just turn it on low or med and on warm. Good luck and I hope your LO starts feeling better.
    deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 10:34 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I used to have this happen to me. The doctor had my parents put a few drops of peroxide (typical bathroom brown bottled stuff) in my ear and then have them lay my head to the side so it could drain.
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 10:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My parents always put alcohol in our ears as a kid after we went swimming. I remember prefering the mint alcohol to the regular clear alcohol. The peroxide is also a great idea if you don't want to use alcohol. My ex husband drank an entire bottle of peroxide when he was little and when his parents called poison control all they said was "well you have the cleanest baby in the county then" LOL If her ear starts to hurt you can also put a few drops of warm olive oil in her ear or put a heating pad on a low heat on her ear. Try askdrsears.com though its a great website about everything for babies
    aidengrant07

Answer by aidengrant07 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 25, 2009