How often do cleft lips or palettes happen when the mother smokes?

I smoke about 3-5 cigarettes a day, I know it is bad, I feel awful, but I just can't give it up. I am at 32 weeks and I am so worried about the cleft lip or cleft palette and wanted to know if anyone has heard how likely it would be for that to happen due to smoking??

kendalsmommy82

Asked by kendalsmommy82 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Health

• If there was something to be concerned about, your doctor would have seen it on the ultra sound by now. They can find things as tiny as brain and heart valve abnormalities in tiny, tiny little fetuses. A cleft lip or palette surely would have been noticed.

I'm not bashing or lecturing you but there are far greater risks besides cosmetic flaws that can occur because of smoking during pregnancy...and none of them were an incentive enough to stop? I feel for you because your smoking addiction must be severe if so, and I hope you're able to find a way to stop somehow for your own health (and for your baby's health. Even after the baby's born and you don't smoke in the same room, you still have third-hand smoke to worry about). Best wishes to you. Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:41 PM on Mar. 24, 2009