• In the Spotlight:

Have you tried letting your baby "cry it out" to sleep the night?

When did you do it? Was it successful? My pediatrician is urging me to let my 7 month old cry it out for a few nights in order to develop a more healthy sleep pattern. I've heard so many success stories from the people I have talked to about it....but I am so bothered by the idea of letting her cry. We feel it is important to have her sleep through the night because she is feeding many times in small amounts instead of fewer more substantial feedings, and needs to gain some weight. We feel she would be more scheduled with feedings, and more hungry after a night of sleep. Also, of course, we'd like to get some sleep ourselves. What have been your experiences?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We let both kids "cry it out" consistently and lovingly and it was successful for us. It helped us ALL get a better sleep and to set up more of a schedule. Then and now the kids knew we loved them, were always there for them, and crying doesn't get your way. 

When I put them down I made sure the basics were good (diaper, food, etc) following a basic routine so they knew it was coming and then I just listened. If their cry changed or went longer than I was comfortable, I checked them, loved on them and put them back down.

Some will say never do it, others give you a time frame, but you need to do what is best for YOU and YOUR baby. We all love and care for our children in different ways, it is not the how but that we DO love and care for them that is most important.

lanimommy81

Answer by lanimommy81 at 2:41 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• For me it's worked great.. I'm going to warn you there are some people who think it's the worst thing on earth todo.. It worked for us and doesnt work for others. I used every method before CIO but none worked so I tried it and yes it was hard but in the end my son was happier because he wasnt fighting me to go to sleep and he was sleeping better and was much happier. But to each there own and if you want to then give it a try if your not comfortable doing it then don't. There is a great book. The no cry sleep solution and it's another option
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 10:42 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• We are letting our son cry it out right now. He is 8 months and was getting up every hour at night to eat. We have done it 3 nights so far... he still is waking but is crying for less time now. It's really hard to listen to him cry but we have tried everything else, including bring him to bed with us... nothing else has worked.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:43 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• No. I find it horribly cruel. Sorry. JMO
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• No i have not....I am working on other things right now.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• it just didn't work for us she cried for hours every night then I pickher up for a minuet and she'd sleep I guees it depends on the child
    mamamonkey90

Answer by mamamonkey90 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• You will have people who make you feel like the worst mother on earth for doing it, but I did with my youngest. My oldest daughter had to be rocked to sleep until she was 2 1/2- 3 because I wouldn't let her learn to put herself to sleep as an infant. I did NOT make that mistake twice! Guess what? My youngest is just as happy and well adjusted as my oldest and I was able to enjoy her more as an infant because I wasn't always exhausted! Good luck!

Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• its best to just let her cry for 5 mins one night, 10 mins the next night, & on from there when you first lay her down for bed. you dont want to start off too hardcore b/c it could confuse her. plus it will be easier on you cause hearing her cry & not letting yourself do anything is really hard! since she is eating fairly often at night, you might not want to ignore every cry. maybe just rule out one night feeding first, then keep going from there.

we started CIO when my DD was 5 m/o. she sleeps thru the night almost every night now (9 m/o). it was a pleasent experience for us b/c my DD has always been a good sleeper. even at 3 months we could let her cry for a few mins & she'd go back to bed.

just keep in mind that not every child responds to CIO & it may not work. you have to be fairly consistent but you wont be any worse off for trying it.

Good Luck!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Tried it, FAILED miserably. If you don't want to do it, DON'T!

Babies get the sleep they need, and they do it better when we don't get in the middle of their natural rhythms.

What worked here? Paying attention to when my son naturally went to sleep, combined with co-sleeping. I transferred him to his own crib at eight months, and he slept longer stretches. Not "through the night" but plenty.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:25 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My DD has slept 12 hours through the night since she was 3 mos old. We did CIO when she was 5 months and took away the paci. It takes about 5-7 nights with nights 3, 5 and 7 being the worst. If you want you can go in at about 5-10 min intervals and pat her back and let her know that you are there. Night one was about 3 hours for us, night 2 was 2 hours, night 3 4 hours, night 4 1 hour, night 5 was 3 hours, night 6 1 hour and night 7 was about 4 hours. By night 8 at exactly one week she went to 15 mins and now at 8 1/2 mos she whines for a few mins or talks and is out for the 12 -14 hours that she needs. If you have any questions pm me and I will be happy to answer them for you. Our pedi walked me through this and it made it easier. I wish you all the luck--by the way the waking to feed may not be hunger but a pacifier instead (gotta break that habit).
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2009