Do you let your kids watch the news?

when I watch the news before dinner my 6 year old stepson watches it sometimes while he's playing and sometimes they talk about things that aren't exactly kid-friendly but I can't decide if I should hide it from him or not...he's really smart and asks good questions about some things, but when they talk about violence, etc.. I wonder it's appropriate....anyone else have thoughts on this?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son is way to young to even understand whats going on (hes still a baby--4 mo) but I dont think I will let him watch the news when he is 6. Theres too much violence on the news, I cant even watch the news without getting sickened by all the bad news they have to report. If anything I would watch the 11 o clock when he is suppose to be sleeping and if anything *major* happened then I would tell him.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 10:56 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• My son is older, he is 10. I do let him watch the news because when the Virginia tech shootings happened my sons school talked to the class about it and it really upset him, he still talks about it from time to time. I let him watch the news because I want to be able to discuss current events with him first, not what a teachers opinion is. If I am watching the news I don’t rush him out of the room, and always answer any questions he has about anything he sees on the TV.
    deneejude

Answer by deneejude at 11:04 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Well, I work in news so it's pretty hard to avoid it in our house. But I notice that my son tunes most of it out, just as I did when I was a kid. I grew up in the era when you had the black and white TV at one end of the table while eating dinner, and you watched Walter Cronkite reading stories about the Vietnam War. (Yeah, I'm that old.) I remember seeing video. But I also remember that it didn't register all that well with me.

I didn't really key in on news till I was about 13.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:21 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• No, we don't because we don't think it's appropriate. I hardly watch the news b/c it's so depressing anymore, lol.

gogogadgetgal

Answer by gogogadgetgal at 1:45 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• They each have a tv in their rooms. They do watch the news. My 10 year old sometimes watches the weather channel for hours. Strange little creature he is. My oldest, who is special needs, loves to watch Nanny 911, and the extreme home makeover shows. They do watch the news sometimes. Which is scary to me. Especially when my daughter comes and tells me that the news lady was talking about 'that place daddy is going to', meaning Afghanistan. It's scary, because she has seen some things that happen over there, and she can put 2 and 2 together.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 9:20 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Yes...we are avid news watchers and he sometimes watches with us (not really sitting down watching it) while running around or whatever. He'll be 6 next month and is very smart and perceptive. So he always has tons of questions and we prepare ourselves to answer as honest as possible. Hey...he has to live in this world we live in. Can't hide everything from them! On the other hand I'd never let him watch any type of adult movie or show on TV.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 9:42 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My son has never nor will he ever be restricted in what he watches. Everything that happens is always an opportunity for learning. It makes them less afraid if you sit with them and watch it and dicuss anything that they bring up. It even makes them more likely to open up to you about other things.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2009