Gassy newborn

I have a newborn that I breastfeed, but I have to supplement with formula because I don't make as much milk as she eats. She's been farting, burping, and having hiccups constantly. Could she be allergic to the formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Infant gas drops are a wonderful thing. My son was incredibly gassy; my pediatrician had us give him double the dose of gas drops with every bottle (I couldn't produce any milk). Also, what kind of bottles are you using when you do give her the formula? There are bottles that reduce that sort of thing. I liked Avent the best, but Playtex VentAire are good, and Dr. Brown's, though those are a major pain to clean.

Another thing I did was CONSTANTLY burp my son, pretty much every time I held him. When he learned to give hugs, he always patted our backs! Hope this helps.
    Katze

Answer by Katze at 12:00 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• how old is she ?
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Two weeks old
    Anonymous

• My baby was formula fed and did the same thing. He was three weeks early, so maybe that was part of the reason. He outgrew it after 5-6 months.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:03 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• It doesn't really sound like an allergic reaction. If he is hiccuping thats ok. All hiccups are uncontrolled spasms of the diaphragm. Some causes are linked to eating to quickly or taking in air a little to quickly. Hiccups are pretty harmless. I agree with Katze the infant drops really do wonders for children who suffer from gas. If your child was having an allergic reaction, you will most likely notice a change in their poop as well as a possible rash that could develop. Good luck hope your child feels better
    Borikaos

Answer by Borikaos at 1:18 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It's possible she's sensitive to dairy, but the burping and hiccuping are very normal, and totally unrelated to allergies. Being gassy is part of being a newborn. However, my son had foul farts that could clear a room, and would get fussy from being gassy when I had milk, and when I switched to lactose-free, it all went away. Try switching formulas as an experiment. If that's not it, then you know, and you can try something else. But remember, she's only two weeks, so all of these things are pretty normal.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2009