How do you deal with a toddler throwing a temper tantrum?

My son cloud throws tantrums when he doesn't get his way what do I do??

Smurf423

Asked by Smurf423 at 11:12 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I ignore my child and tell her when she can use her words I will listen to her. If we are out and about and a tantrum happens I ignore her and if someone says something to her I tell them please don't talk to my child while she is like this. It works. Or I remove her from the scene. Hope that helps.
    BabyMia421

Answer by BabyMia421 at 3:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Walk away. If at home walk away and ignore it. When in public I had a friend who pretended to not know their child and eventually they stopped. You must have given in at some point where he finds it okay to do this. You have to stop whatever you started to make it go away. I wish you all the luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:14 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Ignore it!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:15 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• At home we use time out and it works pretty well. You just have to be constistent. And in public I take him to the bathroom and talk to him. I threaten to take away a priveledge like his tv in the car or something. If I have to take him to the bathroom a second time , he gets a spanking. I don't like to spank him so I do alot of talking before I have to resort to it. But it's very important to always do what you say b/c if not they will think your just all talk and what they're doing isn't that bad. Whatever you do don't ignore them. It isn't fair to make others hear our screaming children throw a hissy fit because we don't know what to do about them. I HATE hearing or seeing kids having a tantrum and the parent just sits there.

Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• When my 1.5 year old son doesn't get his way, I kneel down to his level and calmly explain a few times why he didn't get his way. And I offer him something else to do. I know talking won't stop the tantrum and if he doesn't accept the alternative activity/toy I suggest, I walk away. He gets over it eventually. If I continue to be by his side, he'll continue to throw his tantrum because he's trying to make me cave. When I walk away, he knows no one is paying attention to it and he stops eventually.
    starandseen

Answer by starandseen at 11:53 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• When i took something away from my son earlier this evening he threw his face into the ground and he stood back up and i looked at him and he did it again, he stood up again and I didn't look and he stopped. So I would really just ignore it at home. as far as in public we just talk to him until he calms down it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. good luck!
    -Katie-65

Answer by -Katie-65 at 2:29 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with ignoring your child when they have a temper tantrum,even if you're out in public. While some would argue that it's not fair for others to hear your screaming child because you "don't know what to do" is not a valid argument. When you choose to ignore their behavior you are making an informed decision on what to do. The world would be noisy without screaming children. Also, I think it's much better for the child and society if you teach the children that they can not always have what they want.
    MamaCW

Answer by MamaCW at 11:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2009