Do you think a someone whose kids are grown but doesn't work is a SAHM?

I really appreciate the SAHMs that have little kids at home, but I do not understand the "SAHM's" that really just refuse to work.

If your kid is 18, are you really a SAHM?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• if the kids are grown and you are taking care of the home then you are a "house wife" not a SAHM (as much as i hate the term)
    Anonymous

• SAHM no... but home-maker, yes. And I do believe home-maker is work.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 11:46 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• I'm a SAHM to a two year old.

I can't see calling myself that when my son is 18 and presumably in college. He's an adult.

But, if someone has raised their kids as a SAHM and wants to just "retire" and hang at home, who cares?
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 11:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• No, you're a housewife which is exactly what I will be when my kids grow up because my husband and I believe that the husband should work and the wife should take care of the home. Hopefully I'll have grandchildren to keep me busy.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 11:49 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• Excuse me? I don't work. I don't need to work. And my kids are grown. Hey Honey, when you grow up and your kids are gone, guess what... YOU HAVE MONEY and DON"T NEED TO WORK! That's what it's all about.

Been there, done that, and SO DONE!

In response to your question, yes, I stay at home, and I am a mom. So, maybe I am just a
    "LIVING THE LIFE MOM"!

Anonymous

• I plan on staying home for the rest of my life if financially possible. It's funny how people look down on home-makers now. This is how it always used to be-many women never did work. I will probably volunteer, but it would be pointless to bring home a paycheck because we would just pay in that much more for taxes.
    Anonymous

• Yes and no. If her kids still live at home then yes. If her children have moved out and it's her and her husband, then she's more of a SAHW. I don't need to spell it out.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:55 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• If you don't work and don't have kids at home you should call yourself a "home maker" or a "lady of leisure".... don't really care, but you are not a SAHM.

SAHM infers that you are home to take care of kids.
    Anonymous

• I don't see why the title would matter. I guess- realistically-she stays at home, and she's still a mom even if her child is 18 so that would make her a stay-at-home-mom.

And I don't think it's women refusing to work. They probably don't need the extra income so they busy themselves with different activities. I don't see any problem with that.

If they do refuse to work that's their business, and still, not a big deal.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 12:13 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Me and my husband feel that it's the duty of the husband to make the money that keeps the house and the wife's duty is to make that house a home.
    Even if the kids are gone you still have the obligation to your husband and family, even if the kids are grown they still have to be guided
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Mar. 25, 2009