Autism

Ok so my friends son got diagnosed with Autism and the Dr. told his ex-wife that it wasn't severe and told them that they could cure him is that true? I didn't think it could be cured when he told me that they were going to cure his autism I didn't know what to say I was just dumbfounded. Please no bashing I really don't know

aubrees_mommie

Asked by aubrees_mommie at 11:47 PM on Mar. 24, 2009 in Kids' Health

• There is no "Cure". There are many treatments for him that will help him live a fairly normal life, but he won't be cured. If they catch it early enough and are aggressive and actually stick to the treatment plans, then it can be very effective. Good luck to them. It's not going to be easy, but their child is definitely worth it.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 11:51 PM on Mar. 24, 2009

• From the article "A cure for autism?"

Sometimes I feel angry when I read about attempts being made to 'cure' autism. I do not wish to be 'cured' from my autism, and many autistic persons who are able to communicate their feelings, say the same thing...Autism is not something that I have, it is something that I am. Autism is in every emotion I experience, in every thought I think. ...Autism is not a cage, with us as the prisoners. You cannot talk about a person 'emerging' from autism...If it were possible to remove autism from a person, you would get a different person. A person who, perhaps, fits in better with his surroundings. Maybe a person who abides by the rules of society more. A person who does not stick out. That person will look identical to the previous one, but will be a different person nonetheless.

Anonymous

• There is no cure. With therapies and help, they can learn to cope with things, to learn things, to function in society. But they will always be autistic.

Now..depending on his age and how he responds to therapy...there may be a change in diagnosis later at some point...but it's not something on which you can count.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:26 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Tell him to get his kid into see a BCBA, board certified behavior analyst. They do ABA therapy. I only wished that I had heard of this sooner. It is the only treatment proven effective and endorsed by the surgeon general for children with autism. But let me just say that I agree totally with the person who commented before me about not wanting to CURE autism. If there were cure which there's not, I would never want to cure my son of who he is. He is SO very special to me and I love him the way he is no matter what. I only want to help him learn how to communicate with me and help make things easier for HIM. LOVE YOU MICHAEL!! : )

JenniferDeegan

Answer by JenniferDeegan at 1:08 AM on Apr. 16, 2009