at the end of my rope

He wont stop crying. Goin on 3 hours now he does this every night. ive changed him feed him rocked him walked with him sang to him put him in his swing. i finally put him in his crib and walked away. he wont take a pacifier. i dont know what to do. oh hes 8 weeks old.

Ebony83

Asked by Ebony83 at 12:08 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Welcome to the witching hour. And it'll be a different cure every night.

This is often called "colic." Gripe water or colic tablets may help.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:10 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Are you sure nothing else is wrong? Gas, etc?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Just be patient with him maybe he just wants mommy's security and just wants to be walked around and he will calm down. Babies sence when your frustrated so try to stay calm. Maybe make a doctor appt. and just have his pedi take a look at him and make sure he's not sick.

Good Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Have you tried wrapping him up tight in a blanket? My son loved that and that usually did the trick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Some tricks I have found with either my baby or someone else's (these might work for you, at least for one night!)

Go outside. Sometimes babies just get calm when outside. Go figure.

Bathe him. Change of scenery and texture of what's around him.

Put him in the car seat and rock it, or put it on your lap and bump your legs up and down.

Sing! Sing! Sing! (this has always helped with my daughter, ever since she was born!)

Lay him on the floor or bed underneath a ceiling fan and turn the fan on low.

That's all I can think of for now, I hope at least one of these works for you for at least one night. GL!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 12:18 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• im SO sorry you have to go through this. the first answer was my first guess too. probably colic-y. but at the same time if it's only happening at night, maybe there is something else. did you recently change anything? like formula or from your bed to his crib or did you recently take him out of being swaddled. it sounds about that time. maybe its even teething. babies teeth at all different ages and not ALL of them drool. my son didnt drool at all really with his first two teeth. then only a little bit after that. its not at all bad to let him cry it out once in a while. just dont leave him there without checking on him at least every 15-20mins. which im sure you already know. if you have ANY more info let us know. it'll help us help you. if you need anything else let me know and ill try my hardest to help =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 12:21 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• i go check on him about every 10 min. rub his belly and face and sometimes give him a kiss, that makes him cry a little less but doesnt stop it. my mom guesses hes colic-y too. where can i get gripe water?
    Ebony83

Answer by Ebony83 at 12:24 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Sounds like colic to me. The ceiling fan thing that someone else mentioned was the one thing that helped for my son almost every time. He was fascinated by it, and I swear sometimes it hypnotized him to sleep. Colic sucks big time, the good new is that it usually goes away by 4 to 6 months. If you're breastfeeding, remove dairy from your diet, that can be a trigger. If you're formula feeding, you may want to try a sensitive stomach formula. Oh, and try holding him tummy down along one arm. It seemed like this pressure on his tummy helped my son a little. He had really severe colic, it wasn't just evenings, it was all day. Pretty much any time he wasn't sleeping, he was screaming, or at least crying. I survived. That's about it. I have no good memories from his first few months, it's all a haze of no sleep and crying baby. But we got through it, and he's a happy healthy toddler, now.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:27 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• i would say try making it five mins longer between checking and see if that changes any. also the one arm thing that the previous answer said works good too. maybe if you are rubbing his belly and its helping its an upset stomach. maybe the formula is just too strong for him. try a sensitive stomach kind, or even switch brands. and you can get this OTC stuff called little tummys that works WONDERS. i used it with my son starting at about a month. you can get it at your local grocery store or walmart. theres another kind that has winnie the pooh on it but i cant think of the name for the life of me. i hope things get better soon =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 12:54 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Go for a walk, with him in a sling or carrier. Sing to him, keep it quiet and lights low in his room. Rock him, bathe him, run down the care list (is he-tired? -dirty?-hungry?), and the switch off with daddy or a support person for a little while. You will need a break from him and he will need a break from you. It will get better.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 1:00 AM on Mar. 25, 2009