OMG...

My cousin is having her baby on Monday, she is getting induced so her mom can be here, she will be 3 days over due. Anyways, she asked me to be in the room. I am so nervous, I love my cousin to death and I have helped her out ALOT during this pregnancy, but I dont see how I can be helpful in the room. I am so nervous, having my DD is nothing like watching. What are some ways I could help out, I dont want to annoy her. I offered to take pictures but I am still so nervous...What should I do? I want to be in there for her but I am so scared...

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 12:12 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• if she needs you there, you should rethink your 'scared-ness'..you don't have to have a great view of the vagina in order to support her..perhaps you could be at her side/head, coach her along..just hold her hand..anything...that is, unless you truly think you will be a hindrance to her labor/birth. if so, be honest with her, and offer to IDK, make phone calls or something.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:15 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Watch the Discovery Heath when they have the baby shows on and see what other family members do---I am sure on YouTube they might have videos as well--Google ideas to help a person when they are delivering--or you can post another question about what mothers loved about having someone in the room with them, and what they hated! They can tell you how to be useful perhaps! I am going to have my sister in the room with me and she is going to be my makeup person- I want to make sure I look great- and when I don't care, she will for me:)
    mikko2285

Answer by mikko2285 at 12:18 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• How about just helping out for the labor and when it comes time for delivery, just asking if you can be out of the room for the actual pushing? You can still do a lot for her during labor like, rubbing her back, helping her in and out of bed, walking her in the hallway, or giving her other family members a break while they go get a snack or go pee.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 12:22 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I'd just ask her what she'd like you to do.
    Katze

Answer by Katze at 12:23 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• For some people just being in the room is more than enough help for them. Just think of someone who wouldn't want to be looking at sterile, stern and serious medical faces all the time during something soo so important for them without a familiar face in sight. Your presence can greatly improve the experience for them. Iam eternally grateful for a nurse assistant i did not even know (i still think she was an angel) who kept telling me i was doing fine and smiled at me while i was in labour. Just stand close to her with words of encouragement and wiping sweat or tears or handing a glass of water when needed. That should do it.Hope it helps
    maimutsa

Answer by maimutsa at 1:42 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• get a chair and sit towards her head. If she asks for you or something she needs do your best. sounds to me like she just needs you there for support. YOU WILL BE GREAT!! no worries.
    MoMmY2APrince85

Answer by MoMmY2APrince85 at 9:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2009