If my son is getting social security benefits for his dissabilities and my husband just lost his job cause of the economy will we still get the SSI benefits ?

my husband is applying at alot of places but they havent called him, he got laid off 4 days ago, but i'm afraid for the ssi to stop helping for my disabled child, I live in the state of Texas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Your sons SSI and disability have nothing to do with your husbands employment. That money is and always will be there for your son. Good luck!
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:34 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• No, your son will not lose his SSI benefits. Especially if the father loses his job. It is much more likely to lose the SSI benefit if the father earns too much money. I don't know if that's the case in your state, or with the type of benefit your son is getting.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 12:59 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I know several people who get SSI my parents also tried getting it for me but I wasn't disabled enough 2 qualify, the rules are once you qualify for SSI you will receive it until you no longer have the disability or if you start 2 work, but some people also still receive SSI while they are working because they are only ABLE 2 work part time and not able 2 be up and working for long periods of time but because they work their SSI check is less than those who aren't able 2 work at all. And like someone else said it has nothing to do with your husbands employment. It changes only if your son starts to work because SSI income is based on the fact that your son is disabled to the point of being unable to work if you have questions call SSI 1(800) 772-1213, (its sad that I remember that number) or check online
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 1:14 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• yes, of course
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:31 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• HE wont lose his ssi. that is his money for his disablitiy. MY two boys are getting ssi also
    the3kidg

Answer by the3kidg at 3:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2009