5 weeks post partum... Keep wearing maternity or buy plus sized?

I am 5 weeks post partum... I've lost about half of the 60 pounds I gained during pregnancy, probably due to the fact that I'm breastfeeding. I think my weight loss has mainly hit a plateau, and aside from continuing to eat healthy and get out to walk with the baby when it's nice enough I really don't plan to put forth any effort to lose anymore weight anytime soon. I definitely don't fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes, and my maternity clothes fit weird now. Do I go out and buy new clothes now and probably have to buy plus-sized for the first time in my life or do I hold off a little longer and see if I can squeeze back into my old clothes? I feel like if I go out now I'll be buying a whole new wardrobe and while I'm okay with getting new clothes, I don't want to if I'm just going to continue to lose weight quickly.

TaraB217

Asked by TaraB217 at 12:38 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• i wouldn't buy a new plus-sized wardrobe just yet moma. i do remember those days. i bought new "big girl clothes" and only wore them a week or so. keep the maternity bottoms and try to find a few shirts that have a better fit. you will probably feel better out of the tent tops. i woudln't invest much though, you may only wear them a month or so. and yes you may ultimately buy a whole new wardrobe, but give it at least 4 months. not so much that you won't get your size back, but you may have a different shape. my hips and feet are a little wider now than before the first baby.
    traumamomma601

Answer by traumamomma601 at 12:50 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• i bought one pair of pants that are size 14 to wear.. yeah i polan on losing the rest of my weight but maternity pants were too uncomfortable and pre pregnancy pants just didnt fit
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:15 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I would stay in your maternity pants..why go out and buy new clothes when your going to lose more weight.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 9:26 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• DD is just turning 3 months and I am still in my maternity clothes. I can't wear the pants that had the full belly panels, but the ones that had the lower band fit just fine. I can't quite fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes, but I am close enough that I can't see shelling out the money on transition clothes - especially as a SAHM.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 12:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I would just stick with the maternity clothes. Number one: Why waste money on plus-size when you may still lose the rest of the weight? And if you're having more kids, you will reuse your maternity clothes anyways. Number two: The belly bands on the maternity pants are great support for getting your uterus and belly back to it's normal place and shape.
    hrt_0928

Answer by hrt_0928 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 25, 2009