What do I do about my son?

He's 14, he doesn't want to go out with his friends, he only wants to stay home watch tv and play games, and he complains when I tell him he has to help around the house?

Asked by LaniGirl72 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I have a 14 yr old son myself. *I* have had to take things such as his computer, game system and TV away at times. *I* think it's so important for children to get fresh air, exercise and be social =)
    GL to you no matter how you handle it =)

Answer by New2WAHJ at 10:50 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Take the gaming systems and television away until he helps around the house. Teenagers will always complain, no matter what you do, so you might as well teach him work ethic in the mean time. Maybe when he realizes that staying at home isn't fun, he'll want to go out with his friends before he loses them.

Answer by momof9_slc at 1:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My daughter just turned 15, and she's the same way. Doesn't want to do anything but hang out at home watching tv. As I recall, I was the same way at that age, so I don't worry about it. She doesn't complain much about helping out around the house, only because she's had her share of chores to do since she was very young. Every once in a while, she will get an attitude about being told to do something outside of what she normally has to do chore-wise, or she'll "forget" to do a chore. When she starts to "forget" to do a chore, I take away her tv privilege for a while. That seems to help.

Answer by PinayPrincess at 1:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Sounds like all kids thies days!!!

Answer by Mary86 at 8:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Your son sounds pretty "normal." I, too, have a 14 year old...he is my 4th son that we have gone through the "sickness"-adolescence with! Time takes time. Be loving and consistent, don't get "baited" into arguments, just stand firm on the important, non-negotiable matters. But remember, you are trying to teach him to be "independent" and to be able to live on his own, so give him some room and responsibilities that are age-appropriate. Does Dad ever spend time alone with him, teaching him to drive on a deserted road? Its something ALL my sons loved and made them feel special about.

Answer by amoonstar at 10:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Well let's see what can you do???? Let me know when you find the answer. My problem is not my son doing his chores but doing well in school. He has ADHD and he drives me nuts. God Bless and good luck to you.

Answer by runnyvenom at 10:22 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Hello,
    Is your son possibly depressed? It is a real concern, teens are already sullen and often keep secrets don't allow him to stay shut up too long. Try the YMCA camp they have scholarships and turn no one away. It is a 1 week program and it will help him to connect. Good luck!

Answer by rosetoes at 5:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2008