Would you be upset if your neighbor left their dog outside barking all hours of the night?

my idiot neighbor leaves his dog outside all day and all night... I don't really mind the day so much ..but really? at night too? I'd like to get some sleep without a dog barking up a storm. I've tried ear plugs and their really uncomfortable. Dogs are very social animals.. I don't understand why he even has one,he never takes her on walks and never brings her inside ..even when it's raining. he should've gotten a goldfish instead.

prettymama0607

Asked by prettymama0607 at 12:47 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Pets

• Are you my neighbor? We have a collie and we are up sometimes till 4am so our dog goes outside at all hours of the night. And yes, she barks, a lot! I feel bad for our neighbors, especially because I enjoy the dogs barking in our park we live in--it makes me feel safe, and I don't think that everyone feels that way. But, maybe you can talk to your neighbor- compliment him on 'what a beautiful dog' or tell him that since his dog is outside often you should have his phone number just in case the chain brakes or something since it's outside so often-and you would hate to see someone steal it!!!! Work around that! Compliment and concerning when your are trying to prove a point might work in your benefil--but just remember that a barking dog keeps burglars away!
    mikko2285

Answer by mikko2285 at 1:00 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Mikko2285 does have some very good point but it still isn't helping you get the sleep that you need. I would definitely tell him the problem & let him know that this is starting to take a toll on your body. Be sure to express your concerns but also let him know that you are a compassionate neighbor as well. You said it very well in your post & their is nothing wrong with asking for his assistance on keeping the dog from barking so much.

onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 1:06 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I did it to a neighbor that has a dog behind us--our collie took a liking to it, so I used to go over there and let them play. One day I noticed that the dogs collar was WAY TOO TIGHT on it's neck, so I decided to introduce myself since I knew they were new to the area and compliment them on such a sweet dog. Well, it turned out that "usually Bear is a aggressive dog that doesn't like people, and that we keep his collar like that because he could run away- and it's not too tight on him, it's just that he has alot of fur!" ( I always follow the 2 finger rule, and I could barley get 1 finger under it!) Well, I got my point across, and after that they loosened up the collar and kept him away from our dog--but at least they know I am watching!
    mikko2285

Answer by mikko2285 at 1:13 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• GAHHH one of my neighbors does the same thing. It amazes me how many people think their pets just aren't their responsibility. Call the cops, I'd almost guarantee you they're violating a noise ordinance. And that's CRAP that he's letting his dog live like that too. If the dog doesn't have obvious access to food, water, and decent shelter then you can call animal control too and they'll be all over him.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 2:49 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My SIL has this same problem. They've called the cops more than once and still they hear barking all night. Her husband told us they were going to buy this horn thing and have it set up so that when the dog barks, the horn goes off in the direction of the neighbor's house. He figures he isn't getting any sleep, so why should they? I don't know if they ever did this or whether it worked or not. You could call their house in the middle of the night and tell them their dog is barking and ask if anything is wrong. Do this repeatedly.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Dogs bark, thats what they do! Now ther might be something wrong with the dog or even something bothering him/her at night...but the only you can find out is if you speak to your neighbor! Ask him if he can by the dog a dog house or something that will help with his barking.
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Dogs also bark out of boredom. If the neighbor just lets the dog stay outside all the time and never has any interaction with it, then the dog is probably trying to get attention. I agree with the other posts. Call animal control. That dog needs to be taken away and given a chance to live the life a dog deserves. Some people irritate the crap out of me. Why bother having a dog if the only life they have is on a chain in the backyard? they deserve so much better.
    angelsweet84

Answer by angelsweet84 at 5:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2009