• In the Spotlight:

Different Parenting Styles are Ruining my friendship

A good friend and i have different parenting styles. she is pretty relaxed and her kids are a bit unruly. They play really rough and haven't been following my rules at my house. My kids are frustrated and frankly so am I. I'm not sure what (if anything) to say to the friend about it. I really like her. i'm just not digging her kids with my kids. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe just speak to your friend about how her kids act in your home. You don't have to say unruly, just eplain their behavior. If you have to do this enough times she will get the point.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:24 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Your probably going to get this with any new friendships that come your way that involves children. Just remember~your house, your rules. Let them know that if they do not listen that you will have to give them a time out if they can't play nicely. If my son has his friends over & if it is him or his friend that started the confrontation, Then he will have to set down on the couch with me for a time out & when it's over he can go back into the playroom as long as there is no fighting. If it occurs again, it's back to the ol' drawing board or I tell my son or his friend that "company" will have to go home if they don't be nice. That goes for if the parents are there as well. I'm okay for a parent to give my child a time out if he is misbehaving.

onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 1:24 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I have had the same problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I was in a similar situation and it's pretty simple. You just tell the parent that in your house, you have rules that EVERYONE needs to follow and you tell her what they are and that her kids are expected to follow them. When she comes over with the kids, tell the kids what the rules are and have her BACK YOU UP and then give them the choice of staying a playing or leaving. If your friends doesn't like the rules or that she needs to support you in them when at YOUR house, then the kids can play at her house, where her rules can be followed. If your kids don't like the way the other kids play, then maybe it's time to find some new friends for them. I have asked other kids to leave my house once they made it clear they were not going to follow our house-rules. Good luck...
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:10 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• This is an issue that I am currently going through. My good friends son is 2 years older then mine, and is just terrible. He is constantly hitting kicking and beating on my son. Doesn't listen when I ask him not to do so, and she doesnt dicipline him at all over the situation. Also, she does many other things I dont agree with. Such as spanking and using shut up with him. I have been currently wanting to homeschool. To get my son away from kids like this, whos parents "suck" So I figure I will have to cut ties with my friend, becasue it doesnt make any sense to continue bringing my kiddo around that. If we hang out, it will have to be childless. Good luck to you, I hope you have a better outcome then we do...
    MamaMulder

Answer by MamaMulder at 11:12 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I would say to talk to her about the rules in your house and tell her that her kids need to follow them when they are there. I had a similar situation to this but it was because my friend was too strict IMO with her kids, and I let them be kids instead of making them act like adults.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 12:27 PM on Mar. 25, 2009