How would you handle this????

Recently, I was diagnosed with an illness (I am refraining from naming as I am attempting to get insight without the sympathy) and I have learned I may have to have surgery. Although I am close to several ladies on CafeMom and talk to many of them on the phone often, I don't want them to feel that they have to check up on me constantly. I want them to focus on THEIR lives without having to worry about mine. Granted, my illness seems to be very hard for some to cope with (myself included) but I don't want them to feel they are obligated to worry, pray, or do anything. I want them to treat me as they did BEFORE the diagnosis. How would you ask someone to do this without offending them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Health

• Don't tell them. I think by telling them, you are opening yourself up to this kind of behavior. It's not like they are your best friends. Just live your life for you and only worry about you and your family. Sorry, but life is too short to worry about stuff like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I think you should tell them exactly how you wrote it in this question. It is kind and to the point. They will want to offer something to you though. Its just how we humans work. Let them know what day your surgery is so that they can send flowers/balloons or something.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:09 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Tell them by saying just what you wrote in this question.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:35 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I agree, you said it perfect, but you can't expect people not to feel the need to help or pray. That is what we do as human beings. We help, pray, and are there for one another.

If you don't want any of that, maybe it is better if you don't tell them. Because as much as you don't want them to feel, they will.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:16 AM on Mar. 25, 2009