Constant Fever of 99-103 for 24+ hours?

My son has had a fever since about 7pm last night of 103, fluctuating. A cool bath and tylenol has kept it down, but it's been about 103.4 for about 6 hours now... Anything I can do to help with the fever? The dr. said lots of fluids and not to be worried unless it reaches 105-106; that it's no big deal for a baby to have a random fever for a day or two. Also, he had is first birthday party on Saturday at the beach and got entirely too much sun, I'm wondering if that could be a factor as well?

Thanks guys :)

Stephie999

Asked by Stephie999 at 2:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try to switch things up with motrin...it worked like magic with my girls, and of course plenty of fluids.
    LimoMOM5

Answer by LimoMOM5 at 2:05 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Motrin works better with mine as well. "random fevers" are often associated with teething.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:07 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• First, how did you take his temp? If the fever comes down with tylenol then I wouldn't worry too much unless it's been 24 hours with no other symtoms, alternate between tylenol and motrin if needed. If it's been longer than 24 hour with no other symptoms then I'd make an appointment. I work for this hospital and love the fever chart they have...sooo here ya go

http://www.seattlechildrens.org/child_health_safety/health_advice/fever.asp

Click the tabs and hope it helps
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:08 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Yeah, I'm going to get some motrin for him, the doc said that if it's higher than 101 it's probably not teething, even though he is teething right now and I still think it could be an added factor... There really aren't any other symptoms, he's been tired, but he's been playing like he does every day. His appetite is no different either.
    Stephie999

Answer by Stephie999 at 2:20 AM on Mar. 25, 2009