Do you know what REALLY happens when you dump your pet at the shelter?

I didn't write this, and I'm having to put the URL instead of copying it because it was too long for the character limit. But if you're one of the yahoos in here trying to get someone to tell you it's okay to dump your pet for no good reason, go read this . Because it's NOT.

http://www.pitbullhelp.com/why_should_you_adopt.htm

aurorabunny

Asked by aurorabunny at 2:48 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Pets

• I used to work at an animal shelter, I know exactly what happens....
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I had a pet I wanted to give away. But I went to the shelter after hours and I opened the box but ,I couldnt stick him in it. I gave him to a lady who said she would be good to him. And i got a call a month later from SPCA saying why did I dump my dog on the streets. He was in bad cond... i felt bad, still do. But now is is with his org owner and happy. Thank God! I will never have another animal. And if I ever run into this lady I gave him to... Its gonna be ugly!
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 2:54 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• SO what happens? Why do they make people pay for the animal from shelters? Shouldnt they be happy they are going to good homes. Or maybe charge a few bucks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Why do they make people pay? Are you SERIOUS? Do you think employing staff, vets, buying medicine and pet food is free? Most shelters are so broke that they're verging on going under. My rescue charges $125 adoption fee and 9 times out of 10 that doesn't even break us even for what we have spent on the dog in the first place. Oh and "Free to good home" doesn't exactly draw the most upstanding of folk, lemme tell ya.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 3:01 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• When people see free, they see easy. I will say, there were many animals that never made it to adoption. Sometimes we were so full, we had to euthanize daily. We could not adopt out anything that wasn't fixed, so the fee went for that. We had to check out the house and the yard, and follow up. We could also refuse adoption to anyone at any time for any reason. I'll tell you it's harder to adopt a dog than it is to have a kid!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 3:11 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I was just asking I didnt know. Sorry maybe next time I will just google what I wanna know. I seriously thought maybe goverment paid for animal shelters. I dont have animals, so I dont know. SO yes I was serious.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• :( I wish every person who decides not to spay or neuter their dog would read this. I wish every person who wants a designer dog would read this. I wish every person who gave up a dog for a selfish reason would read this. My dogs are pound puppies and I couldn't be more proud of them. Imagine if I had walked in only one day later? To think they could have been killed, simply because there was no more room for them... I shudder at the thought. My "big black scary dog" is the best, most loving pet we have ever had.. and shame on anyone who can look in those beautiful big brown eyes and say "sorry, but you deserve to die"- Because anyone who drops their dog off at a shelter for any reason is sentencing them to a game of Russian Roulette. A game they will most likely lose.

LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 4:05 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I honestly believe anyone who has ever dumped a dog for dishonest and selfish reasons should never be allowed to adopt again. I volunteered at an animal shelter in Washington that struggled with a woman who would adopt a dog, then bring it back or have it taken back when they would escape or run away or poop on the floor or scare the cat or so on or so forth... and because it was entirely a volunteer operation, with people working varied shifts and always new people, and it was hard to keep tabs on people. One volunteer created a database, it took her hundreds of hours to enter all the adoptions of the past two years and they realised this one woman had adopted 35 dogs, only 16 of which had returned to the shelter (only 4 were adopted out of those 16). They went to her house and there were only 2 dogs there.. so where those other 17 dogs went, we will never know. Luckily with that database they have fixed the problem.
    LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 4:12 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Katie you know I know what happens. I work in rescue . it makes me sick when I am at the shelter and I hear peoples reasons why they need to get rid of their pets. "We cant walk him he runs and pulls and acts crazy." Well dummy , theres TRAINING and anti pull devices available have you tried that? The answer is always no , because its easier to dump the pet on the shelter or rescue than to do the WORK involved with fixing the issues. If I hear OOPS my dog got pregnant one more time I may scream. Your dog got pregnant because you werent responsible enough to get it fixed. My favorite is " Well this dog is 10, has arthritis and well hes no fun anymore, so we got the kids a puppy." UMMMMM Dogs are not cars, you dont trade it in when its old and needs new parts, you love it until it passes away. Please people if you cant be responsible pet owners, dont get a pet. Spay and neuter, vaccinate and microchip. ADOPT it saves lives.
    Mom2PunkRockers

Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 5:11 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• There just animals... Nothing to scream at people about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2009