what are some methods to help your baby get tired and fall asleeep?

my girl is wide awake and not sleeping at all....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if your baby is at least 4-5 months you can mix a little bit of Gerber baby cereal in her bottle (not too thick )it will make her more full and might let her sleep all night....I asked my sons pediatrician when he was 4'1/2 months old and she told me to do that and when he started to not stay asleep as long and was able to digest it better then gradually thicken it , but at first try it at bedtime for her... you can also try tickling or taking a drive in the car, my son loved the vibration, even if its in a portable crib or something.......
    KrisNJacob

Answer by KrisNJacob at 4:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If they take naps, have them take them early in the day...say noon for only an hour or hour and a half. Oh and read to them right before bed. That is relaxing for some kids.
    ericadrian

Answer by ericadrian at 4:08 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• it really depends how old they are... my daughter is 2 and a half months and she's been sleeping through the night for a long time.. you have to get her on a schedule.. my baby wakes up around 8 then naps at like 9:30-12 and then she's up and naps for a little when her daddy gets home at 5 .. she gets a bath around 11 .. she kicks and plays so she's wide awake.. and then she gets lotion .. which she gets a good scream in because she doesn't like being naked all to much when she gets out of the bath.. and then i put her on the boob .. and she fills herself up... and gets all drunk and passes out and sleeps until 7... sometimes i put a pacifier in her mouth so she can keep sucking.. or we used to put her in a swing and it would relax her and she'd fall asleep... just keep your baby up as much as you can during the day.. oh and there is this good bed time baby wash and lotion and stuff... its awesome and smells good.. good luck
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 5:16 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• my daughter hates going to bed some times. she will want to stay up till midnight when her bedtime is 8, but only if she's held and cuddled. What me and my bf do, and it might sound mean, is when she is restless he usually takes her because she will cry for 5 min. then I'll take her back and she falls right to sleep. It may not work for all babies
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:49 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• How old? Often babies not wanting to sleep is a sign of overtired babies. If she's still young, make sure you're starting to soothe to sleep within 2 hours after she wakes up. With my little one she was often ready after an hour or hour and a half. Even if she's older, make sure she gets regular naps and goes to bed early. Sorry if you're already doing these things.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:32 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Beware on the cereal in the bottle...it's a choking risk and should ONLY be done at a doctor's direction for reflux.

Otherwise it should be avoided before four months for a formula baby, six months for a breastfed baby.

Also be aware that often cereal will wake them more. It raises blood sugar before bed, then they go to sleep and blood sugar drops and they wake hungry.

Sleep training advocates say six months is the soonest you can use any method. If you're at that point, check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:05 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If your baby is old enough a session in a jumparoo will work out any energy reserves then get them into their routine (whatever yours is) ....bath, book, bottle etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Mar. 25, 2009