My nephew won't stop hitting himself.......on the HEAD...!!!!

my sister is at her wits end with my nephew, we all are actually at our wits end.....he constantly hits himself when he dont get his way or is in trouble or when he doesnt want to do something he needs to do, he's 3 and will be 4 in June...... we have tried everything we can think of and its coming down to the point to where she will give up if something cant be thought of to make him stop......he'll hit himself over and over again and say " well i'm going to keep hitting myself" or " I'm Bad"............we desperately need a some help..............

KrisNJacob

Asked by KrisNJacob at 3:54 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My dd constantly runs into things, but what you have sounds different. Not intended to be mean it sounds like he gets abused not saying he is. You should seriously talk to his doctor. I'm sorry I hope it works out.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It sounds as if he sees someone else hitting themselves and picking up on it. Possibly he sees or is around arguing??? And picks up on that.. Sure i could be totally wrong, but is another suggestion..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• In children with Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD), there is an ongoing pattern of uncooperative, defiant, and hostile behavior toward authority figures that seriously interferes with the youngster's day to day functioning. Symptoms of ODD may include:

frequent temper tantrums
    excessive arguing with adults
    active defiance and refusal to comply with adult requests and rules
    deliberate attempts to annoy or upset people
    blaming others for his or her mistakes or misbehavior
    often being touchy or easily annoyed by others
    frequent anger and resentment
    mean and hateful talking when upset
    seeking revenge
    Here's the link for more information
    http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/children_with_oppositional_defiant_disorder
    trickortreat

Answer by trickortreat at 6:34 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Sounds like the little guy has issues. People really need to stop calling their kids "bad" You don't know how many children get a complex and start to think of themselves as bad. Not saying this boy is, or trying to be offensive. I would suggest going up to him holding his hands and hugging him and explaining to him that he is not bad, he's a very good boy, but good boys can not do that. IT also sounds like he could use more praise. Call him a good boy for doing anything he's suppose to big or small. Boost up his confidance and you will see an improvement.
    MoMmY2APrince85

Answer by MoMmY2APrince85 at 8:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I want to personally thank everyone who has helped me with consideration and suggestions, the answers were very helpful.....

thankyou,
    Kristie
    KrisNJacob

Answer by KrisNJacob at 2:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My youngest does that as well, sometimes when he is angry and sometimes to be silly, let me know when you find a solution
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2009