Putting kids on a leash..

Have you ever used one for your children? I noticed Jon &kate plus 8 using something that all the kids would hang on to. (wasnt a harness leash though)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• IMO I would not use a leash because my kids are not dogs. But I did like the thing that Jon and Kate used though.
    LND

Answer by LND at 12:57 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Yep! I've used one with each of them but only when in busy, hectic settings like the zoo or amusement park. We did hold their hands, but the harness was simply an added measure of safety (three of them, two of us and my husband is disabled so can't run after them if something happened) Not only did it stop them if they managed to slip their hands from ours, it was an added measure should someone try to run by and grab one of them.

And while I'm not ashamed of our using the harness, I am answering "anon" so I don't receive the nasty messages again as I did the last time I answered a question about this topic. I don't feel like dealing with stupidity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:29 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I'm with the previous anon. We used it in hectic situations and it was a big comfort for me to know they were safe if they tried to slip away or the crowd was thick. I got some nasty comments from some people, too. It's rediculous! I was just trying to keep my little ones safe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:33 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Had one for my youngest when we went to the zoo or somewhere big. I didnt use it for my 1st 2 dd b/c they would stay with me and DH, but my 3rd DD wonders off without a care in the world. You do what you have to do to keep your little one safe, Isnt that being responsible?
    BonnieboBonnie2

Answer by BonnieboBonnie2 at 5:44 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I never needed one as my kids werent runners, but Im about ready to get one for our neighbors kid, his parents have an awful time with that kid running. He is two and his feet literally hit the ground running lol. IM laughing but its really not funny. If I had a little one that ran, or had more then one child.......absolutely the child leash is a very good tool to have.

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:13 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I used the harness "leash" when my son was younger. It doubled as a monkey back pack also. I only used it in crowded places as well. I was always stopped and asked where I got mine at by other parents. I have never encountered anyone being negative to me about it in public, but then again they couldn't be anon in real life. Of course, I would rather get bashed for using it than for not using it and something bad happen.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:14 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• We use a monkey backpack harness leash if we go somewhere very crowded where my child could very easily get lost. I hold her hand the whole time - it's just for added protection.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 7:05 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I don't really like to see kids on a leash, it's like taking your dog for a walk. But I guess it's better than losing them if you're in a crowded place.
    summerdayz

Answer by summerdayz at 7:21 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• We never used one & don't plan on it. I've seen the same thing Jon & Kate used for daycares/preschool/kindergarten classes. It's a long rope with handles to keep them all following in line, but they're not strapped to it.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:33 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I used one with my kids when they were little.  We lived in England and the sidewalks where we lived were very narrow.  It only takes a moment for a child to step out into heavy traffic.  Also we flew out of Heathrow every year to visit my parents.  I used the harness then too since it is one of the busiest airports in the world.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:44 AM on Mar. 25, 2009