crying, crying, crying

When my 3 week old is not sleep or eating she's crying. Why can't she ever just lay there in peace? without me catering to her every whim. She stops when I pick her up. What is the problem?

MiMiBreezy

Asked by MiMiBreezy at 6:57 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she propaly feels lonely pick her up every time she crys and try soothing her then lay her down gently and and stand or sit by her till she falls asleep its works for my 11 mo old
    des11

Answer by des11 at 7:20 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• She's three weeks old... you kinda have to cater to her every whim... who else will if not her own mother?

You sound like you might have PPD... mabey you should call your doctor. It does seem overwhelming right now with a new baby but it'll get easier once you get into the groove.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 7:42 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• The problem? She is a newborn and depends on you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:59 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• She may have colic. Picking her up comforts her, and also moves her around so that the pain may go away temporarily. Try using Mylicon (simethicone) drops. This used to calm my babies almost immediately. I had twins with colic and it was a nightmare until I discovered the drops.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 7:59 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Sounds like it could be colic to me. It is true that catering to the newborn's every whim is more or less the norm... but it can be extremely difficult with a fussy/colicky/high needs baby. My first was like this, my second was totally happy to sit in a swing and nap the hours away. It's not the same experience, so let's be more sensitive to this, people! I'd get a good sling or wrap (I love the Moby Wrap) so you can carry her on you and not feel like you're nailed to the couch. Also, try motion -- a baby swing, a walk in the stroller, a drive in the car. And with all this crying, you DO need breaks (don't let anyone tell you otherwise). See if someone can watch the baby for awhile and leave the house. Don't feel guilty about someone having to deal with crying baby in your place. He/she will survive. If you're at wits end and no one can help, put baby in a safe place and step outside.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:26 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• And if you're having lots of negative thoughts, please do seek help for possible postpartum depression. It's more common in women with high needs babies.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:27 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• You have to start from the get go teaching your new born to soothe her/himself. My husband and I are very calm and laid back people. Our daughter is the same way. Babies can pick up on stress or calmness and this makes a big difference.

I always had soft classical music playing when i fed our daughter and it was so relaxing or her. Don't pick the baby up every time he or she whimpers. Babies learn very early what works and what doesn't work when they cry. If the baby is not dirty or hungry, let them cry for a while. It won't hurt them!!
    mkell511

Answer by mkell511 at 8:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It will get easier. the first three months you need to just get into a routine. If you feel depressed or isolated, tell your doctor because it is a serious matter and you want to feel the best you can during this experieice.

It is overwhelming but it does get better and better. You will get through it
    mkell511

Answer by mkell511 at 8:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• At three weeks, you're supposed to cater to her every whim. **smile* Sorry,t hat's how it works. She's been in the womb for nine months and now she's been "thrown into the street" so to speak. YOU are her universe.

Get a sling. You can pop her in there and go about your business and she will be content.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:30 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It's cuz she wants you to pick her up and carry her around. It's a normal baby thing and although difficult just one of those things you gotta do as a mommy of a newborn. It's hard now but it gets better. She's still used to being a part of you so it only makes sense that she still wants to be carried around by you, right? Once she gets used to the fact that she's not inside you anymore and she is better able to entertain herself it gets easier I promise. The first 2 months are definitely the hardest. At least for me it was!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:59 AM on Mar. 25, 2009