Gassy baby?

My five day old is really fussy. It's mostly at night. She kicks her legs and I heard that's gas, but she wont burp no matter what I do (I've tried against my shoulder, her leaning forward over my hand, leg peddling, etc.). The only things that calm her at all are bouncing her while she's sitting at a 45 degree angle, sometimes the little vibrating seat, and breastfeeding. She also spits up often (sometimes enough that I wonder if anything is left in her stomach) day and night. What can I do to make her more comfortable?

doubleyouteeeff

Asked by doubleyouteeeff at 7:15 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like colic. I know colic and we don't get along. :P

Go to Walmart or a pharmacy... they sell "gas drops" for babies... smitheceon or something like that. It's easy to find, look where they keep Mylanta and Pepto... and the stuff works. I remember those nights of trying to walk and bounce at the same time... phew... get the drops though, it'll help. :D
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 7:50 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• The only way I could get my daughters to burp - without spitting up was the "leaning forward over my hand" technique. Make sure you put your hand under the chin to hold her head up straight - this keeps her throat open so the gas can come out. If patting doesn't work then run your fingers up and down her spine, this sometimes makes them straighten their back and then they belch. Sometimes laying her flat on her tummy across your knees and patting or rubbing her back will work. Keep her at a slight incline (head higher than feet) so she doesn't spit up. If she still doesn't burp then get Mylicon (simethicone) drops....a life saver.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 7:52 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• At 5 days old Id contact the doctor before giving her anything. Perhaps the pediatrician can show you some tricks on burping.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:03 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My daughter had colic horribly and thats what this sounds like. At first it was only nigh time then it was all day and all night until she was 3months old. Try a warm bath at night, warm towel, gas drops, heating pad, taking a ride in the vehicle, carseat on the dryer, small frequent feedings and burping frequently. You can give gas drops to them as much as with every feeding and it wont hurt them at all, thats what my pediatrician said. My daughter pretty much lived in her carseat for the first 3mths because thats the only way she would sleep, because it puts pressure on their bellies. good luck and it will get better.
    proudmom89

Answer by proudmom89 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• gripe water
    hollinshead

Answer by hollinshead at 11:31 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• try the :Mylicon Infant Drops: its safe for newborns , you can put a few drops in the bottle or do what my son did, he'd suck it right out of the dropper, i usually had to put him in a 45 dgree angle pat him firmly and rub his back then pat again, and some times tip him back as if lying down and lift him back up and keep patting, if the baby passes gas instead of burping that is a good sign, the baby is still getting it out some way
    KrisNJacob

Answer by KrisNJacob at 2:41 PM on Mar. 25, 2009