My mother-the animal collector???

My mom has about 100 animals Here's the deal, she's in bad health and can't really give the animals the care/attention they need-so I suggest that she gets rid of them...ishe then calls everyone and tells them I'm abusing her and then comes back to me and says either "she is going to kill herself and then I'd be happy" or she is selling everything and leaving-getting away from me. Our neighbors called animal control on us-she had 30 feral cats out here breeding! I've suggested she's depressed and heeds help-she says I'm crazy...then she says if I don't like it get out...which would put me and the kids on the street...she says when that happens she's calling DCF and taking the kids from me. I really think she needs counseling-she claims not her but me-that I need it. I'm going to get it because I can't deal with this anymore. Here's what I want to know-does anyone think that I'm to blame here? I don't think I'm wrong...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• Your mother is a hoarder and sounds like she is pretty mentally unstable.. If anyone would get into trouble it would be her. You need to call animal control and have them come out to see the situation so they can get it under control.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:39 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It does sound as though your mom needs professional help. It doesn't seem as though she thinks so though, so she won't seek help on her own. You can try having her comitted for a psych evaluation. If she did say anything about wanting to kill herself (even if you know she won't), you can use that as a reason to have her comitted. While she's gone, try to find homes for the animals. It won't be easy. I don't know what else to say, excpet good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• You live with your mother, your kids and 100 animals? That doesn't sound like it would be sanitary or clean to have kids living in that mess. Yes, she probably does need counseling. But, what you need to do is call animal contol and tell them she can't take care of all these animals.
    Or move out.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:43 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Her house.......her rules. Though it is unlawful to have that many animals. Your mother obviously has issues. I would def. try finding different living arrangements.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:52 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• we can tell how long my sister has been off her meds by how many animals she has collected. She's bipolar. She likes to play mommy. I say play because she has none of the 7 that she birthed. So she collects animals.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:03 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• As a person that loves animals (even tho I don't have anywhere near that many at any given time), I can understand how perhaps she had a male and a female and they kept having babies who had babies who had babies and it got way out of control and what to do... you can't afford to get all of them spayed or neutered and you actually love the animals so the idea of "getting rid" of them breaks your heart but you're in an endless cycle that's going to keep getting worse, not to mention all of the inbreeding which ends with a lot of deformed animals when brothers and sisters mate.
    Anyway, my point is, your Mother isn't crazy because she doesn't want to get rid of her pets, she's just not thinking about the welfare of the animals above the love she has for them. Continued
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:06 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Please, do not turn her in, she'd be up to her neck in fines and they'd come in and kill all of those animals because the animal shelters are over full right now as it is and most are putting down hundred or or more animals a day right now (read that online somewhere not long ago that with the economy lot of people are taking their pets to the shelter but there's too many so they're putting them to sleep)
    Maybe see if you can find people and get rid of the cats one by one and explain the situation to them so they don't mention to her what you're doing. I know that sounds so sneaky but it's better than killing the cats and they deserve to have an owner who has the time to give them the attention they need and deserve.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:08 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Thanks for all you answers ...I've been holding this in for so long now!
    and no, there aren't 100 animals in the house..that'd be nuts! There's 4 cats and 2 dogs inside,the rest are outside.
    and the cats .....(because of the neighbor's call-animal control handled that issue already)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Since the animal problem is solved, what answers are you looking for then? Just if you're right for wanting her to get rid of them? Or that she's depressed and you're not crazy?
    I could understand why you both are right really. Only thing that is still bothering me is that she threatened to have your kids taken from you... I'm sure it was an idle threat but I wouldn't like anyone threatening that to me.
    I hope your Mom gets to feeling better (you said she was in poor health) and I hope that things improve for all of you.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 9:26 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Hoarding, especially animal hoarding, is a sign of OCD. If she is in bad health maybe you should talk to a social worker about her. It sounds like OCD, bipolar or possibly early dementia.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Mar. 25, 2009