HOW DO YOU HANDLE AN OUT OF CONTROL KID

I WORK IN A DAYCARE CENTER WITH ALL AGE GROUP. I HAVE THIS KIDS WHO HAS HE MOMENTS. WHEN HE GETS INTO THE BAD MOMENT HE SCREAMS, THROWS THINGS RUNS OUT OF THE CLASSROOM. HOW DO I CONTROL THAT MOMENT?

TEACHERSHELPER

Asked by TEACHERSHELPER at 8:34 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oh the memories. When I worked preschool we had a little guy who would run twords the road when he got off the bus every single time. The workers would fight about who's turn it was to get the kids off the bus. We finally rallied together and took it to the supervisor and told her we refused to get him off the bus anymore. IT was a safety issue and we no longer wanted to be responsible. You need to take this issue to your supervisor. Thats what they are there for. Perhaps he needs a cool down time. What sets him off? If he is throwing things that is a problem as he may injure another student. We were always told that when a students behavior effects the whole class constantly, to take it to the supervisor, thats what they get paid the "big bucks" for lol.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:48 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I agree with the PP - also, I'm assuming you've discussed his behavior with the parents? You need to work with them as a team to help the child in school and at home. So have a team meeting with the administrators and the parents and work out some different options so everyone can be on the same page.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Oh wow... I am actually in school to work in a preschool slash early elementary setting and wow I have spent countless hours writing well thought out papers on how to give positive guidance and re direct misbehaving children, but I can not imagine what I would do if those didn't work... I know the big thing that we learn is getting down to the root of the problem and finding out why they are doing that and then flip it around in a positive manner. For instance, for one class I had to an observation/ case study on a child and he liked to interrupt story time. I figured out that he acted out when was not getting enough attention or bored so I suggested that the teacher do interactive reading with the children. I was shocked but it helped him be better behaved during story time.

I guess what I am saying my advice is trying to re direct him as best as you can. Also, get the parents involved. That would be great help :)
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 25, 2009