5 year old girl still has potty issues

My daughter is 5 and will be starting Kindergarten next year. She was diagnosed with chronic constipation and encompresis a year and a half ago. Since then, we have gotten that issue under control, but she still tries to hold it and ends up going to the bathroom in her panties. Every day. Sometimes twice a day.

We have tried everything - talking and being gentle, taking away priveleges, putting her in a pull up for 24 hours, and spanking (my DH). Nothing, NOTHING has worked. I can understand an occasional accident, but this is EVERY DAY. She knows what to do - she's done it many times. Her constipation problem is taken care of, so it no longer hurts. She just doesn't want to stop and go to the bathroom (she's admitted this).

So, what do I do now?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 9:22 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would talk to a pyschcologist about this. Also, what did your family doctor recommend?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I have a 5yr old boy and he is doing the same thing. He wants to go,but he just seems to get into playing something and no doing it. I too have tried everything you have. I now ask him every 1/2 hr if he has to go--he gets mad at me for it,but I am so tired of cleaning up poo. I am worried like you that he will go to school and get picked on or worse yet sent home everyday.
    eeyoree

Answer by eeyoree at 9:43 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Have you tried an award system. When I was potty training my DD we were having the same issue. We made a sticker chart for her and once she collected so many stickers she got to pick out princess sheets for her bed. Within in a month the problem was resolved and she was excited to pick out her own sheets. She had a couple of occasion where she messed her panties after our second daughter was born but once she realized that she would lose her new sheets she never did it again. Also consider having her clean herself when she messes. We also did that the last time my dd did it and that worked as well.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 10:31 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My five year old does the same thing. He holds it for days and wont go and them it is so big it hurts so hes scared to go. Two weeks ago I started giving him miralax on the advice of his pedi. we tried it before but didnt have good results. So I tried it again and so far so good. He gets up in the morning has cereal and goes in to try to poop if he cant then, we try again before lunch and its been working. The encopresis sucks though because it stretches the area that holds the poop so they acutally can hold more than the normal person I am nervous about school next year too.
    DIANE463

Answer by DIANE463 at 10:45 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I would say having her try every hour or so. I like the reward system idea!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 5:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2009