How can I get baby to stay sleep on her own?

Hi ladies. I need some suggestions on how to get my baby to sleep by herself. She is 7 months old.

A month or so ago she was sick and while she was sick, I'd sleep holding her in the recliner so that she was upright and I could monitor her fever. Ever since then, I can't get her to stay in her crib all night.

When she first falls asleep for the night, I can lay her down in her crib. She only sleeps 3 or 4 hours before she wakes up screaming. I get her to calm down and go back to sleep but after that, I she won't sleep in her crib. It doesn't matter if I wait 5 minutes or an hour after she goes back to sleep, as soon as I start to bend over to put her in her crib, she wakes up and starts crying again.

Some nights I've repeated the get her to sleep, wait, try to lay her down and she wakes up crying for more than 2 hours to try and get her to sleep on her own.

MrsAce150

Asked by MrsAce150 at 9:23 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The fact that she sleeps a few hours is pretty good.

A lot of moms have success with "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:42 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I don't agree. She should be able to sleep more than a few hours in a stretch at that age. What worked for us to get our 6 mo daughter to go back to sleep on her own was to get her to put herself to sleep in the first place. This was NOT with crying it out... Here's what we did: We made sure her routine was consistent. Bath every day, jammies, nursing WITH LIGHTS ON. Then even if she dozed a little nursing, I would rouse her, read her a book, then turn off the lights and sing a song or two. This way I could put her down happy, awake, but calm. She would just lie there and talk and then within a few minutes be asleep. The routine helps them know what's coming. Every third day or so she'll put in a little fuss for like 30 seconds or a minute right before falling asleep, but no extensive crying! She would then put herself back to sleep with a little talking or moderate fussing (again, not crying). I feed her if it's 4 or later
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• This is just an idea--so do not be upset with me.

If you lay down with her in your bed and put pillows around her on one side and then start moving away and put a pillow there too--she might start getting use to falling alseep without having you right next to her. Then put her in the crib and just rub her back--do not climb in. To me it seems she is so use to your warmth and smell that she is having a hard time feeling comfortable being away from you. Just rub her back and pat her on her lower back and whisper gentley or sing. Hope it works.
    eeyoree

Answer by eeyoree at 9:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I'm with EmilySusan. That is also our routine, my daughter is 4 months old. She has a bath at 9pm, then we play with her for a bit and then we feed her and play with her for a little more then lay her down in her crib and she does her little talking and sometimes does get fussy too but she puts herself to sleep. I would try that and see how that works out, or maybe just put in the shirt you were wearing for that day and wrap it around her or put it near her crib so that she thinks it's you, I know sounds weird but it might just work.
    xocyncyn

Answer by xocyncyn at 10:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It will take patience no matter what method you choose. Trust me, my daughter is 16 months now and we've had a lot of sleeping issues lol!

You may consider not rocking her to sleep anymore. Nurse her (or bottle, whichever you do) and put her in bed while she is still drowsy but not asleep. She'll become accustomed to being in her bed and finding ways to soothe herself asleep.

It won't be fun. My daughter was sick a few months back and it messed her schedule up so bad she was staying up until 2 in the morning. It took me almost 2 months to get her to bed before 2 am.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 11:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I agree with EmilySusan...in fact, thank you! I have been having a similar problem myself. All i really have to say is do not let her/him cry it out...it does not work and this time is very important for bonding!
    Lillias_Mama

Answer by Lillias_Mama at 6:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2009