My daughter sometimes has coochy issues.

We both us dove soap to wash down there, which was what I was advised to use by the ob/gyn. And she rinses with the hand held shower head. But she still gets red down there sometimes, and she cries that it hurts, or burns. She showers regularly, and when she doesn't, I clean her with a diaper wipe, which is what her peds doc said to do. Does anyone else have this happen? Any advice on what to do? I feel bad, I'm not a new mom or anything. I'm just at a lose. She asks me to make her a doc appointment. This happened last night, but this morning she was fine.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Maybe just use a rag and water every other day, or use baby soap. My DD skin is very sensitive and everything burns, so we use baby soap.
    Peanut_Farley

Answer by Peanut_Farley at 9:27 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• How old is she? I have a friend who sometimes has this issue with her daughter... she realized that her daughter was not wiping well enough when she went potty...
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 9:28 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If it isn't a yeast infection, just skin irritation, I find that diaper cream ointment helps soothe the burn when my sd has this problem. She doesn't wipe well and we can't use bubble bath for her.
    lalli_lalli

Answer by lalli_lalli at 9:35 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• She's 7. She doesn't always wipe well, that's why we use the diaper wipes. Dove is supposed to be the best for sensitive skin. We used to use sensitive skin feminine wash, but that actually burned me a little. She doesn't take any baths anymore. I'll try just using a washcloth, and diaper cream, see how that works. I feel bad for her, I know how uncomfortable this kind of thing is. It breaks my heart when she cries that it burns, and she askes for the cream. I have yeast infx cream, nystatin cream. Things we were given before. I don't know exactly which one to use, so I don't use any. She was fine this morning, so I think it is just skin irritation. Poor baby. Thanks for the advice!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I get that this is a legitimate question and doesn't deserve to be flagged because you are looking for genuine advice, but pleace don't put offensive names for female body parts in you title.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Try ivory soap. My friend has two girls and that was the only soap they could use down there. And make sure it's really dry. Sometimes a little vaseline will help too.
    DIANE463

Answer by DIANE463 at 10:52 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I still use aveeno baby wash for my girls. My 5 year old has complained about soreness in her privates too. And we rinse with the shower head as well. Sometimes I even have her take a bath just to soak her privates. No soap no nothin'
    Robinsbirds

Answer by Robinsbirds at 11:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• my dd had a problem and had to change bathroom tissue... The fibers in the tissue would cling to her body and cause irritation she would be red from front to back . And when we chaged to Angel Soft. There were no more problems... Hope this helps
    mxmtaylor

Answer by mxmtaylor at 12:45 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I don't see how I used an offensive term.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is sensitive to many things in that area as well... do not use vaseline as it causes long term damage... I would stick with many answers here such as... use Johnson's baby washes as they are the most sensitive you can get and hypoallergenic. Also zinc cream is amazing. You could also do as I do if you don't already, and that is to let her "air out" at night time and allow her to just wear a nighty or jammie pants with no undies... Hope this helps:)
    briwillansmom

Answer by briwillansmom at 5:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2009