What's your cheapest family meal that you cook?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• spaggettii (sp) with hamburger. i just brown some hamburger cost like 2.00 and throw it into the sauce and make the pasta its filling and good and cheap and dh loves the left overs. sometimes i do add more like hot sauceage ( dh loves ) or cut up a hard boiled eggs ( kids love ) and mix it into sauce. ( i cut sauceage into chunks )
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:48 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Meatloaf, any kind of potatoes and a veggie. I get the ground meat on sale and stock up when it's cheap. Potatoes are always on sale and I like frozen or fresh veggies, but often deal with canned. I can feed my family of 6 for around 10 bucks.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Spaghetti is always one of the cheapest meals you can make. Also, when whole chicken breasts or leg quarters are on sale, I buy those. You can boil them for about 10 minutes, then put them in the oven with BBQ sauce for an indoor BBQ chicken night. I pull the meat off the bones of the extras and make sandwiches the next night. So it's like 2 meals for the price of 1.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• two packs on ramen noodles-drain water use one sauce pack. (too much sodium) add leftover meat and some mixed veggies.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Chili over mac 'n cheese. It's not my favorite, but it works!
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 11:40 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Pintos in the crockpot and corn bread.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Stuffed Cabbage.

Pound of hamburger
    1 cup cooked rice
    1 large can of Tomatoe soup
    I large head of cabbage
    1 Egg
    1/4 cup bread crumbs

Core cabbage and boil till leaves a somewhat soft. Not too soft but not hard either. Mix hamburger, rice, egg and bread crumbs. (Throw in a chopped onion if you like.) Roll in cabbage leaves. Pour over 1 can of tomatoe soup (mixed with water) I( use a turkey roasting pan)
    Bake 350 2 hours..... Cheap and good

Cheesy Chicken Noodle Slop... (as dh calls it)

2 boiled chicken breasts cut up
    1 box, bag of egg noodles cooked
    1/4 velveta cheese
    2 cans cream of Mushroom soup

Mix noodles, chicken and soup. Throw in pan. Put the cheese on top and Voila. Dinner made cheap!!!
    Yebbers

Answer by Yebbers at 2:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Lentil soup with carrots, onions, garlic a little curry powder, salt, pepper, served with a crusty bread like cuban bread. If you have a ham bone or smoked turkey leg that adds a nice flavor and you can drop the curry and much of the salt and pepper.
    Chicken stew, potatoes, lots of carrots, green beans, onions a builiion cube or two. Can serve with dumplings (drop homemade biscuit dough into boiling liquid) if you have alot of liquid or just make biscuits in the oven.
    Fried rice. Add all kinds of cut up leftovers to leftover rice, cook in a bit of oil to heat through add a little soy sauce. If there's not enough protein scramble a few eggs with a bit of water, fry them into thin pancakes, slice them into thin strips and add to the fried rice. This is fun to eat with chop sticks and serve with condiments.
    Breakfast for supper. Like pancakes served with fruit. Or omlets with a salad or carrot and celery sticks.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 2:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Chili -- 1 pound of lean ground beef and 1 packet of Bear Creek "Darn Good Chili Mix" -- lasts 3 or so days for us, with cornbread muffins
    nuwave06

Answer by nuwave06 at 5:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• We cook spaghetti w/deer meat. Most of the time I make my own sauce and DH gets the deer :)
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 7:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2009