Should a two year old be saying more then one word?

A little one that I watch just turned two. He only says one word at a time, mommy, dada, baba, cookie, more, done, cheese, or some things I have heard him say. He never puts two words together, his pediatrician is labeling him speech delay and wants two words together in six months. His mom thinks seems concerned and did not realize he should be saying more.

miss372

Asked by miss372 at 9:43 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was the same way. I was worried about a speech delay. He barely said anything but when he did it was one word at a time. The doctor said to give him time and he'd probably be fine but we'd worry about it if he got closer to 3 and was still doing it. All the sudden one day ....literally...her just started jabbering away like he was always able to talk. Now he never shits up! LOL. The doctor said he probably delayed his own speech because his sister talked for him and then one day relaized he could talk like that too. He said it is common with kids that have older siblings that they are close to. I would worry too much at this point. Give it some time. BTW, our pediatrician in listied in the top 25 ped's in the country and is Chief of Peds at a hosital here. He has never steered me wrong. I think so many docs are too quick to judge and lable.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 10:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I can totally relate to this question. My son turned 2 in December and I was so worried about him only saying a few words (mama, dada, truck, etc). And my daughter was talking at 10 months. I talked to his dr and his response was....he will talk when he's ready, all kids are different. I guess he was right because since December he has started saying everything. He is a little sponge and everything he hears...he says (which is not always good - LOL) He still does not pronouce everything correctly, but he is certainly on the right track. Just be patient and keep talking to him....before long you'll be wondering if he will ever take a breath - LOL
    nctinad

Answer by nctinad at 10:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Yeah, I think the pedi is right. But that info's all based on averages, etc. I've seen a pretty wide range through playgroups, etc. Are you asking because you're looking to help? Did the doc give suggestions about what to do?
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:05 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Ugh...there is no edit button on these! I jut realised I put "he never SHITS up"...I meant SHUTS!! CAFEMOM dont delete my answer for profanity please....its a typo! LOL
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 10:05 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• LOL...too funny! I saw that too, but I knew what you meant. Hopefully you won't be deleted because your answer was right on!
    nctinad

Answer by nctinad at 10:07 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I BELEIVE THAT ALL KIDS DEVELOP DIFFERENTLY, BUT IF HE REACHES CLOSE TO HIS THIRD BIRTHDAY AND THINGS HAVEN'T CHANGED, THEN HAVE HIM TESTED. MY SISTERS IN LAW HAD HER SON NOT BEING ABLE TO MAKE SENTENCES, AND BY THE AGE OF THREE HE WAS DIAGNOSED WITH A LOW DEGREE OF AUTISM. BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY.

Answer by older at 11:05 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I wouldn't wait for the 6 months. I'd have him evaluated now. But that's me. I have two in speech therapy. My youngest didn't say his first word until 23 months, after therapy started.

I'm a firm believer in getting kids help if it's available and not making them wait to catch up eventually.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:25 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Getting kids "help" just for being on the low end of normal only sets them up for labeling. Give the child some time.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 11:44 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• He sounds normal to me. Just start using 3 syllable sounds with him and he will start immitating you. Just give it a little bit and stop worrying =P
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 12:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• my daughter will be two in a month and a half a uses mostly just one word. She'll says 'shoe off" and "byebye name" but that's the most two word phrases she'll say.
    Anonymous