Has the honeymoon ended between the Press and Obama?

Has Obama come to the realization, a mere 65 days into his term, that the MSM is starting to turn on him? Is that why he "suddenly" decided to "break with tradition" and call on "lesser known" journalists?

"Obama broke with tradition by snubbing journalists from the six biggest US papers - Washington Post, New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, Wall Street Journal or USA Today. Instead, he called on reporters for Ebony magazine, Stars and Stripes, Univision, and Agence France-Presse."

"The sharpest exchange came when CNN's Ed Henry pressed Obama on why it took days for him to express outrage over the bonuses granted to AIG employees."

"But Obama countered well: "It took us a couple of days because I like to know what I'm talking about before I speak."

(In other words, his staffers were feverishly trying to craft his response!)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2009/mar/25/usa-newspapers1

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 9:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I say go for it Obama, continue on your path of arrogance when it comes to reporter selection. The news conference wasn't a news conference, it was his 3rd media appearance to encourage support for his new budget. He spent 60 minutes answering 13 questions and he only really answered one. It was done on purpose, and he went through the motions, if the media turns on him for his arrogance so be it, he deserves it.
    And yes, I still wish great failure upon him and it looks like he is doing it quite well on his own. Good for him, he'll have nobody to blame. Blaming others and smoking are two bad habits he may never break.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 11:00 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Funny! If Obama had bothered to read the bill he wouldn't have had to hear about the bonuses in the paper, and could have been outraged really fast, lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If it wasn't so scary and sad, it would be down right hilarious. The look on his face when Ed Henry asked that question was priceless. He was probably wondering how the dissenter got in. Yeah. The honeymoon is over. I predict divorce is 2012.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I have never in my life seen such a large group of people wanting someone to fail so bad. I've only read about it in books. I believe the president's name was......Lincoln?

Anyway, I do think the honeymoon is over, and the President that I selected needs to choose his words wisely because they will be picked apart and read into far beyond their surface. I don't see why it should matter how long it took him to announce his outrage. People get really petty over the smallest things.

I really do hope he gets the same chances other presidents have been given, but it sure doesn't seem that way. I didn't like the bafoonery that came out of George Bush's mouth and I thought he looked like an lost at the podium ALL OF THE TIME. But I never wished him to fail, I just wanted him to be more careful and not listen to every "Yes" man around him.
    Did anyone see that movie "W"? It was pretty informative. LOL!!
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 10:14 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Did anyone see that movie "W"? It was pretty informative. LOL!!

Yep. That's where I get my information. The movie theatre.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• The same thing happened to Clinton the overtly Liberal media got him elected and then crucified him. With a Republican at least they know they will be crucified they expect it I don't think Obama was prepared for those in his own party in the media to cannibalism him so quickly. Obama was not outraged by the bonuses because he knew they would be paid. I don't think he expected the amount of outrage and had to take a couple days to craft a response. Geithner who he choose to help run the economy was someone who helped write the AIG bailout so it does come back to him and his judgement. Chris Dodd a Democrat who is in his corner made sure the bailout allowed for bonuses so this was a tough one. He should not worry his true followers will love him no matter what. The problem he has is convincing the Republicans and Independents who voted for him that he is not a liar and idiot. The media is not making it easy.lol

Anonymous

• I don't see why it should matter how long it took him to announce his outrage. People get really petty over the smallest things.

It happens to all Presidents. Obama is not being treated any different than any other President. Bush was lamblasted by Liberals before he took office and was called a cheat. He was never given a chance by most Liberals why would it be different for Obama. You are just sensitive to it because you voted for him. If you believe in him don't worry what others think. Obama does need to watch his words they are powerful and affect the lives of millions in our country. One wrong word the stock market will go down. It has always been this way he is not being persecuted. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• But Obama's selection process last night did not result in softball inquiries. Ebony's Kevin Chappell cited a report that one in 50 American children is homeless and asked what Obama would say to their families.

This is from the posted link. So what exactly is the criticism here? That he didn't pick journalists who usually get picked at presidential press conferences? As long as the tough questions get asked, is it really important who is asking it?
    As far as how he handled the tough questions, from what I saw of the conference he answered everything in depth, and did not shy away, or revert to rhetoric, or just shimmy out of questions like past Presidents have. I thought he did well. I think the "captain teleprompter' joke has no guts. I don't remember seeing any past president being that forthright.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I realize Hannity has you brainwashed and that some of you honestly believe the press had a 'slobbering love affair' with Obama when it simply wasn't ever the case.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/film_reviews/article4903206.ece
    Here's your professional critique of your liberal, false Movie W. Nice try, but it sucked.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Mar. 25, 2009