what's the best way to take my baby's temperature?

i'm a new mom & i have a rectal thermometer & have no idea how to use it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh you are going to love this...We had a pacifier with a thermometer built in. Available at wal-mart. Or there are ear thermometers.  Our boys fussed with the ear one...the binkie was the ticket. LOL
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:53 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• with a baby under 1 my ped. told me the best way is the butt.
    Maxsmommy1

Answer by Maxsmommy1 at 11:01 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• to use a rectal thermometer lay the baby across your lap tummy down and undo the diaper. Slide the bulb of the thermometer in the babys rectum and splay your hand across the baby's butt cheeks with the thermometer being held steady between your first and midle fingers.
    LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 11:57 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Rectal is the best way for babies. Just insert the thermometer and let it rest in the palm of your hand. That way if the baby squirms you won't risk causing injury. If you are uncomfortable the next time you are at the doctor's office as the nurse to show you how to use it.
    Anonymous

• Rectally is the most accurate way of taking an infants temp. but there is the Temporal thermometer(about 35$ at walmart) that works just as well, you just slide it across the forehead and you're done!
    Jessimica

Answer by Jessimica at 12:18 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• The most accurate way of taking a baby's temp is rectally. I usually don't like to do that so I use underarm, but you have to add a degree to the reading. :)
    schmoo_mommy

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 2:17 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• under the arm is bvery accurate.
    cusina48

Answer by cusina48 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2008