My daughter is super attached to me & wants nothing to do with my husband

I am 35.5 wks pregnant w/ our 2nd child & I have a 2 yr old girl. I feel so terrible b/c she wants NOTHING to do w/ her daddy. She lays on me all day long, when she gets hurt she always cries for me & screams when he tries to help her. She gets out of her bed EVERY morning at the same time, comes to our bed & cuddles me & rubs my hair, but when he asks for a hug or to cuddle she says "NO!" I've suggested that they go on "dad-daughter dates" 1ce a week, but they went on 1 (had a blast) & she seems to want less to do w/ him. I tell him not to give up, but he's so discouraged. She only wants time w/ him in active/hyper play. I don't think I spoil her when he isn't around. I can't do anything fun w/ her b/c I'm in so much pain from the this pregnancy. It's really starting to hurt him & it kills me to see her yell at him like that only to run to me. We both stay home right now (tough times), so she gets = time with us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Very possible she "feels" your pain. Was it like that pre-pregnancy? if not then it will change after baby comes. She sounds super sensitive so watch for jealosy. Tell hubby he needs to tend to her needs 24/7 for a while she probly just looks at him as a play toy and not a parent. He needs to clean and dress her and fill her cup and get her snacks maybe all that will help
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 10:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Could he start doing some part of her everyday routine with her? When I got too far along in pregnancy to comfortably give my toddler a bath, it became my husband's exclusive job. They really bonded over this -- bath time is one of her favorite times of the day. She was still really a momma's girl but I was surprised how well she handled him stepping up to care for her after the baby was born. (she was only 15 months) And I had a c-section, so I REALLY couldn't do a lot for her, I couldn't even hold her. She adjusted. They definitely have a really special bond now.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My 2 1/2 yr old son (third child)is the same way with my husband. Mostly because he was never really around. Hubby was still active duty for almost a year and a half, after I got out of active duty. But now we all live together for the past 8 months, he has somewhat accepted daddy. He still is very much a momma's boy, and cries when Daddy takes all of them a bath. But we dont give attention to it, and show him that Daddy does for him just like Momma. My husband used to be very upset when our son didnt want him, or give him kisses/hugs. But has become more assertive. When he asks our son for kisses/hugs, and he says no..hubby will pretend to be a monster and give monster hugs/kisses. Or when hubby calls son, and he says no, I persuade him to go anyway. When he goes out for a short while, I have my son go with him, and he loves it. We know he loves Daddy, but in time he will be able to show it more.
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• my dd was like that....still is to a point.....she was like that even while i was pg with her....lol.....it used to hurt dh's feeling too....but we just did the daddy/daughter time and in time she has come around....she's 7 now.....lol......she loves her daddy very much....always has....she just prefers mommy and is sometimes a little possessive (not enough to be a problem, thank goodness!....lol)....just keep trying to "throw" them together and she should eventually come around

bigblueeyes

Answer by bigblueeyes at 2:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2009