Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to become a certified childcare provider?

I am a stay at home mom and plan to stay that way...I even want to homeschool my kids when they are old enough. But times are tough and I would like to start watching 1-3 kids in my home to earn some money. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to become certified? I know I need to go through Social Services to get licensed...but my state (VA) doesn't require that. So that will come later. For now, I want to take some classes to get certified. What do I need to do and where can I take the classes? Any info you can give to help me out with this would be great. Because I don't know much about this yet. Thanks

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (1)
  • Try your local community college, where they offer child development classes and such. To get certified for the cpr/first aid, you could go through a number of agencies...ymca, red cross, etc. You could ask the department of social services about taking classes...I am sure they would know..having dealt with potential providers

    Answer by MSully3 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.