How do you feel about putting your infant in daycare?

I have an opprotunity to stay home with our baby and work from home. I'm not sure if I should take the job because it makes less money than would I could possibly make as a full time teacher. The stay at home job would still be working with students and I would keep my part time job tutoring in the evenings. What would you do?

Mrs.Faith

Asked by Mrs.Faith at 10:43 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would definitely take advantage of this opportunity. I didn't like the idea of putting my baby in daycare either. That's why I became a SAHM, except I have no job! Need to start working on that!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I would stay at home. I don't trust anyone to raise my baby but me. No daycare for mine till she is old enough to tell me if she is mistreated.No offense to anyone who uses daycare.I just cant handle the idea
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 10:47 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Honestly if you can afford it, stay home. Since I have returned to work I miss my son. previously I could say I knew everything about him because I spent almost every moment with him. Plus once he started daycare he immediately got sick and has had a bargage of illnesses since. Apprently this is what happens when they start daycare. My son is just now 1 1/2 months later starting to get better without catching some else in the meantime.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 10:48 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If you can do it ..Be a SAHM! I love it! I feel 100% better knowing my DD is safe! I am so sick of hearing the horror stories in the news lately.
    amber325

Answer by amber325 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Daycare is not an option for me at all. Period.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:57 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Daycare, especially as an infant, is not an option for me. I would never do it.

This opportunity sounds like a good one, even with less pay, and you would be providing your child with something invaluable, a parent who is there for them always.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:01 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Consider this in your finances....working full time and paying for daycare, extra gas, extra car maintenance, lunches for you, etc....

Staying home and NOT having those extra expenses. Are you still bringing home less?

On another note...could you still financially survive staying home? Is this a job at home that will allow for multiple disruptions?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:15 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• i agree with you ticcledblue ! My words exactly ! Do what is best for your family !
    hollinshead

Answer by hollinshead at 11:54 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I would stay home and have worked from home. Sit down and make a detailed list of your income and expenses (gas and vehicle maintenance, eating lunch out, school supplies if you provide some of your own, daycare expenses, healthcare costs if you pay for all or part of your own, union dues, and don't forget income taxes). When we did this, we found my job was only bringing in $200 after everything was said and down (with two kids at the time) so it was not worth it. When I worked from home if I make $200 a month we called it good.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I had 2 of my 3 kids in daycare at 6 weeks old. Both of them were fine, and had no problems. It really all depends on the daycare.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 12:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2009