What happened to teaching children morals, values, respect for others and just a little discipline?

What has happened to the world today that makes it ok to allow your children to think they can get away with rude, selfish behavior? As parents it is our job to teach our kids these basic things. How can we expect them to grow up to be responsible productive adults when as kids they are never held accountable for their actions? I saw on here last night a post, a mom talking about being mad that the neighborhood children were playing in her backyard and some of the mothers on here acted like she was crazy. What is wrong with people?

Julia0331

Asked by Julia0331 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well I think the biggest problem is that parents now days want to be "friends" with their kids so much that they are afraid if they are to rough on them they won't like them anymore. WELL WAKE UP PEOPLE KIDS TODAY HAVE ENOUGH FRIENDS THEY NEED STRUCTURE, DISCIPLINE AND RULES. Otherwise they are going to grow up to be little thugs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My children DO NOT get away with that kind of behavior, and they never will. Some think I am too strict on my boys, and I guarantee there children are the ones that are rude and inconsiderate.

sophie_sue24

Answer by sophie_sue24 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Some parents just don't teach them. They want their kids to do whatever they want. Kids know that if they just tell a teacher or school staff that mom or dad are hitting them the police can be called and mom and dad will get in trouble. My son was taught respect, morals, etc and I do NOT tolerate him not being the way I taught him. I also have no problem slapping my kid or spanking him if needed. He knows that if he calls the cops on me for abuse, that I will abuse him right in front of the cops because if I am going to jail for something, it will be because I did it, not because he thought he could get away with lying.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I think people are just afraid to say that they would go over and yell at the kids. Or that they would perhaps spank a little or ground or be mean when it is necessary. Thats just my opinion.
    And in regards to that post last night, many women felt she was acting on a high horse and that her property was like a land of gold, you know? They wrapped their mind around her wanting people to stay off her land and seeing it as a snobish thing rather than focusing on the reality of it and if one of those kids get hurt its HER responsibility. Anyways that just my opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I for one think I would not be doing my job as a parent if I didn't teach these things to my son. I was taught all of this at an early age and respect my parents more because of it.
    Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 10:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• We have kids who play in our front yard. They are little, under 10. It doesn't bother me, unless I am trying to get Becka to nap, then I ask them to quiet down or move it out of the yard. Their football games spread into our yard occasionally.

Maybe some women don't care. When I was a kid, we always played in neighbors yard... unless it was known that we weren't allowed. I mean, if it bother's the mom SHE could say something.

I don't know what the situation in the post you are talking about was like. I think back yards are off limits. I never ran into someone elses backyard as a kid, but sometimes a soccer game would get spread into the adjoining yard. We never had issues though, our neighbor didn't care and was never home.

I don't think you can judge a parent based on one thing. Maybe there children are allowed in neighbors yards, because neighbors allow them, who knows.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:58 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I don't expect to see other people's children playing in my yard uninvited. It's MY yard, for my family. I bought the property. It is WRONG to let your children to play in someone else's yard without permission from the person the yard belongs to. Anyone that thinks otherwise was not brought up properly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• well i'm the woman on her "high horse" who asked that question last night. i was in my house minding my own business looked out and found my neighbors 4 boys (ages ranging 12 to 16) playing baseball in my fenced in yard behind my house. i don't think my yard is a land of gold but what i don't understand is if i'm the one making the mortgage payment and paying the homeowners insurance why i'm not allowed to say other people need my permission to be there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• they actually jumped your fence? gah, that's terrible. I would have told them to get out too!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:14 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Anon 11:18 AM very well said.

clapping

Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 25, 2009