How do you get kids to clean their room?

My 5 and 8 years old daughters share a room, getting them to clean it is difficult. It's always about how "the other one isn't helping me clean!" "It's her mess"... etc. I usually have to do it myself. I want them to have the simple responsibility of cleaning up after themselves in their room. So, I was wondering , do your children regularly clean their own rooms, or do you do it for them? For the one's who's kids do it themselves, any tips for getting them to be on the ball with it?? Thanks in advance!!

mountainMum

Asked by mountainMum at 10:57 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• One fun way is to tell them to act like their room is their house, and they have guest coming to visit, and they have to make their house beautiful. That works sometimes, or when my kids were 4 and 5 and wouldn't clean their room, I told them I would clean it. I put everything in trash bags and put them in the basement. They cried, and cried thinking I had put their toys in the trash. It was kind of mean, but after awhile, I told them they could have their toys back if they put them all away. I have to say, I never had to do that again.
    Pamx12

Answer by Pamx12 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• i do it like this: GO CLEAN YOUR ROOM NOW!!!!!!!!!!! but mine are teens lol
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:59 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• my 6 yo never cleaned her room. it was always crazy dirty. and then one day her aunt came over and made it fun for her and otld her that it was FUN! to keep her room clean and she should do it first thing when she wakes up.

This was when aunt was babysitting while I was in labor with my new baby, and ever since herrooom has been super clean!!!! she cleans it up even if her little brother comes in and messes it, she makes her bed first thing after waking up and everything. It's so funny....

maybe you can have an outside influence come in and guilt them into it like my sister did lol!! GL!
    douxmusique

Answer by douxmusique at 11:00 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• If you really want them to clean it. Stand there, at there door tell they clean it...That is practicly the only way to really get them to clean it.

Answer by louise2 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I WOULD SUSPEND ALL PLAYING TIME UNTIL THE MESS IS CLEAN! I DON'T WANT TO HEAR WHO DID WHAT YOU ARE SIBLINGS AND YOU MUST HELP EACH OTHER.WE ARE A FAMILY WE LOVE AND HELP EACH OTHER . Unless i saw the one child making a mess !then that child would be responsible for their own actions
    hollinshead

Answer by hollinshead at 11:02 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I totally understand what you go through. My 2 boys, 5 and 9 share a bedroom. It's a constant fight to clean their room. "He's not helping." "It's his mess." We got so sick of their messes we put their toys in the basement! And now that's a mess. This morning I called them Pigs because they also made a mess down there! That's their job today, to clean after school before they go outside.
    But, as long as their bedroom gets clean they get a $1 a week for cleaning it. And if one kid does more than the other they get $2. This usually does the trick.
    Oh, and I mean clean the room not shove everything under their bed!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My almost 4 year old doesn't have a choice! When I tell her to clean it she does. Sometimes it takes her longer to do it, then I start taking stuff away from her and it's amazing how fast she'll clean her room to get her stuff back!
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Pamx12 I'm going to try your tactic about the trash bags next time!! I bet I won't even have to ask her to clean her room anymore!!
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Only two ways I can think of (humor intended).... either stand in the doorway, thumping a belt on your hand and point out every piece that needs picking up - then tell them where to put that piece, then tell them what to do next until the whole room is clean OR give them a treat (like a little obedient puppy) every time they pick something up.... you may have a kid with a tummy ache later though!

Seriously...when the boys were little.... I'd pick up half and then make them pick up half. We sort of tag-teamed it. Problem was, if I was not available, they would not tackle it on their own until they got older.... and older boys clean just like younger ones do...half. I love my children, so I make sure their door always works so I can close it. LOL
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:23 AM on Mar. 25, 2009