foods for a 1 year old

The doctor said we can start giving my daughter regular foods now. He said to give her whatever we are eating, just mush it up. We dont always eat the healthiest, so i want to make suer she is getting all her fruits and veggies, etc. What kind of foods do/did you give your 12 month old? I need some ideas on what to get. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I give my son almost everything we eat. He can eat just about anything, it'll be easier to ask what not to give him. My pediatrican said no hot dogs, no chips, umm and anything that is super hard.
    lonelymom911

Answer by lonelymom911 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Ours have been eating what we ate (except for the obvious no-no's until a little older) since they were 9 months old.

I used the opportunity to improve our eating habits.

Oh, and I didn't mush it up. I diced it into pieces until they were able to handle bigger pieces (chewing better). That way they could feed themselves.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:19 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• cut up chicken with peas, bananas ( my son loves them), berries with whip cream, yogurt, ribs( it'f funny to see them suck on the bone, if they have teeth).
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 11:55 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• this is what my 14 month loves---sweet potatoes, avacados, carrots (cooked and hard), eggs, squash (butternut and winter), applesauce, apples, peas, oatmeal (not a lot), some of the organic baby foods too, pieces of bread (not a lot).......

I agree w/ the PP-it is a great reason to start to eat healthy for yourselves and your child.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Well, I try not to eat things I don't want my daughter to eat because whenever she sees me with food she comes running to try it out. I do know that it is not safe to give them peanutbutter or any candy.
    lvaughn26

Answer by lvaughn26 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Eggs are great -- you can pack them with veggies and make an omelette. We did cans of black or pinto beans, we steamed frozen veggies and she ate those. Not everything needs to be mashed/pureed. Ours loved hummus and falafel. Soft cheeses. You can do mac n' cheese and those things, but try to think outside the "toddler food" box. A 12 month-old isn't a picky eater yet. (at 12 months our daughter would eat bleu cheese (pasteurized of course) and now she won't even touch cheddar! This is the best time to avoid the foods marketed to kids... they'll catch up to you sooner or later but they're really not necessary. We tried to give her whatever we ate, which actually made us eat a little healthier. Avocados are great, slices of soft fruit (peaches, mango, strawberries, whatever's in season)...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:32 PM on Mar. 25, 2009