How many of you had episiotomies? How many of you had tears?

I'm due in a month with my first child. I'm very excited!!! The only thing that makes me a little nervous is the episiotomy, or the likelihood of tearing. Luckily, I have a very high tolerance for pain, so I'm not panicking or anything. I think I just don't know a whole lot about the process or the healling of it. Maybe if I knew more, I'd be more comfortable with the idea. What can you tell me?

mama_moonsong

Asked by mama_moonsong at 11:17 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have had neither. I delivered my 8.6 lb, 21.75 inch daughter without even a tear. I attribute that to my birthing position, and doing perineal massages started at 34 weeks.

Tears heal faster, and are natural. Episiotomies are cuts that increase your risk of getting a 3rd or 4th degree tear.

There are lots of ways to prevent tearing, but I would NEVER allow an epesiotomy.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:23 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I barely tore at all so maybe Im not the one who should be answering this... I didnt even need stitches... I barely remember the delivery part but my husband said there was a lot of mineral oil and stretching/rubbing going on in that department... Some women use lube (or olive oil or mineral oil) and stretch themselves out during the weeks prior to delivery to prevent tearing, I didnt though. The important thing is to go into it relaxed and with a positive outlook!
    MarchMarie

Answer by MarchMarie at 11:23 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I had "skid marks" as my OB called them. heh. I would prefer not to ever have an episiotomy because tears are much more natural and you'll only tear as much as you need to, and episiotomies may be done more than needed with extra tearing.

One exception is if I start to tear up I'd want my doctor to redirect the tear downward by doing a small episiotomy. My sil tore up because she refused an episiotomy and now she wears depends at 23 years old, she does plan on getting it fixed though.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I tore but it wasnt a really bad tore, I did have to get stitches though. I personally hated the feeling when they had to stitch me up and the days afterward it hurt a lot to urinate and such.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I tore with my first baby i tore so bad i was gushing blood. It is better to get an episiotomie than to tear i could not walk for a week. But they give you the necessary's to take care of it. Not everyone tears though so i hope you don't
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• wow. well. thanks, i think. lol. im going for a natural birth, so i guess we'll just see what happens. perhaps, i should add to my birth plan: "episiotomy only if tearing begins to occur"....
    eh
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 11:43 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• An inclined positon while pushing (lithotmy) will greatly increase your chances of episiotomy or tearing. You should let the contractions push the baby out as musch as possible as pushing alongside contractions basiclly forces baby out before your body has had a chance to strech naturally around the baby and that causes episiotomies and tears too.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 11:56 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Baby 1-episiotomy
    Baby 2&3-tear
    Baby 4-i do not remember
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 11:59 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I tore in two places with my son. I had to get stitches and it was painful to urinate for a while but they healed just fine. In my opinion, the episiotomy is unecessary. If you tear it is natural and will repair itself. I had a friend who had an episiotomy and now she has all kinds of problems with muscle control down there..
    1swtmomma

Answer by 1swtmomma at 1:10 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• i tore with an 8 lb 15.6 oz 20 in long baby. i had to have four stitches. i dont know if i just had a REALLY good doctor or what, but i didnt even notice any tearing at all. NO pain what so ever after wards. i didnt take any pain meds when i went home, and i had an epidural, so i didnt feel the tear. maybe that helped? i dont know but it wasnt anything too bad for me. it was just a LITTLE tender when i would have a BM or if i wiped too hard after peeing. good luck and congrats momma!!! =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 1:31 PM on Mar. 25, 2009