what do you teach your kids?

when it comes to respect, i was raised to respect those who respect you, and thats how i am raising my children. my friend teaches her kid to respect everyone, which is fine with me, just not how i want to raise my kids, and shes telling me that i am wrong for teaching my daughter to only respect those who respect you....what do you ladies teach your kids about respect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• I haven't really thought about it...I'm probably one who teaches to respect everyone...and to an extint I agree with that. On the other hand I was taught the same way in a lovey and sheltered environment. In the real world I got used and stepped on some because I didn't know that people would step on you instead of show you respect back. I will try to teach my dd to stand up for herself and stuff but still teach...treat others how you would like to be treated.

ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:24 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I'm with you. I don't believe in "turn the other cheek" and "treat everyone with kindness". I am kind and respectful to people who are kind and respectful to me. And I will raise my daughter to be that way as well. Why would I teach her to let people bullshit her and walk all over her?! NO WAY!
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:25 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• well thats how i was raised sorry i should have put a little more detail in there, i was raised to treat others how you want to be treated, but if someone isnt respecting you then dont show them respect. stand up for yourself and never back down kind of thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I'm with you, too.

Just because someone went to college, or holds a position of power, or is 10 yrs older than you --- does NOT necessarily mean they deserve your respect.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:29 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• You give respect to earn respect. If they don't respect others, they should never expect respect in return.

Children, however, SHOULD be respectful to everyone, especially their elders.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I teach my kids to respect everyone, treat people the way you would like to be treated of course but I tell them to stand up for themselves too meaning if someone says mean things, they should not do the same thing back that just makes them as ugly as the other person but to tell an adult if someone violates your private space meaning your body ex: hitting or pushing they are allowed to defend themselves without worrying about being in trouble with me. I think it has worked well with me oldest he has been in 2 fights ( one in 5th grade on in 10th grade) both when the other person struck first I believe words are hurtful but it hurts the person saying them more when you don't respond or respond with kindness. JMO

royal_tee

Answer by royal_tee at 11:43 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• How can you expect someone to show you respect if you don't show them respect? I teach you respect everyone especially adults. When you show respect for others you are showing respect for yourself! And that's what it is really all about it.
    Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• i teach my daughter to respect people, but if someone isnt respecting her i dont expect her to respect them....if someone hits her i expect her to hit back and stand up for herself. if someone says something bad about her i expect her to defend herself as well. i dont want my daughter running around disrespecting everyone she sees but i also dont want her to let people put her down and walk all over her.
    Anonymous

• Hi, I've taught my children in order to get respect you have to give respect. No one has the right to tell you what you are doing is WRONG. You have to use your good judgement. After all they are YOUR children. Respect, manners etc are very important but respect is earned not given freely. Stay away from those who do not respect you for who you are.
    Heartprints143

Answer by Heartprints143 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I am a firm believer that if you want respect you have to give respect and that's what I teach my kids.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 25, 2009