How can I be sure my daughters development is normal? She was born 5 weeks early and is very smart but seems behind in her physical development

My daughter is 10 months old and is very smart, she can find a dog and a cat in her storybooks when you ask her to point to them. She masters most task while only watching me do it once and said her first word at 4 months old. She rolled over from her back to stomach at 3 weeks and was babbling by 2 and a half months. At the age of ten months she is saying, mama, dada(said to her grandpa), baba, dog, byebye, all gone, where go, hi, and no. The problem is she seems to be a bit behind in her physical development. She did not role over from back to stomach and stomach to back untill she was 7 months old and was not fully sitting up unassited untill about 7 in a half months. She is not crawling or really even trying but rolls everywhere. She does not pull herself into a standing position or nor can she go from a laying position to a sitting position or vise versa. She can walk assisted and can stand unassisted for a few seconds.

McKennasmama08

Asked by McKennasmama08 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Since premature babies are not fully developed as a full term baby when they are born, they need time to 'catchup'. They say go by when they were suppose to be born. So if your baby is 10 months (40 wks) old, for milestones look for those around 35 wks or between 8 and 9 months. And remember that all babies are different and develop at their own pace. While my 11 mo old is walking, almost running, and has been since he was 9 1/2 months old, our friends 11 mo old that is two weeks older is just now taking his first steps.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I have been wondering the same thing... my daughter is 5 months and was born very small at 4 lbs 15 oz.... she is only now rolling from tummy to back and still cant sit unassisted... she has a weak muscle in one side of her neck so her head leans to one side...... but from the sounds of it Your little girl is doing very well!!! every child does things differently! I am sure she is fine and if you have any questions you should really see her ped!.. I am good at giving advice but i know when it comes to your own kids its much different!
    Moma_bear

Answer by Moma_bear at 11:44 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• All babies develop on their on time . Don't worry ! A guy on my job says that his daughter didnt start walking until she was 14 months ! She was born after her due date!
    hollinshead

Answer by hollinshead at 12:00 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Well if your daughter rolled over at 3 weeks and spoke her first word at 4 months she must be a genius. My daughter doesn't do any of that and she's 4 months.

xocyncyn

Answer by xocyncyn at 12:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Wait a minute....first of all, you have to adjust her age until she's two (per our doctors and therapists). Second of all, you said she rolled stomach to back at 3 weeks, but then later said not until 7 months for either way.

Look at the "average" development chart. Subtract 5 weeks from your daughter's age and use that to see where she is compared to the "average".

Four months for a first word? She actually used it as expected, or was just making the sound of a word? There's a difference. The latter is not talking. My guys were making a "dada" and "mama" sound at 5 months, but it wasn't talking no matter how much I wanted it to be.
    Anonymous