Mom's with Dealing with ADHD... Advice PLEASE!

My almost 6 year old son had just beed formally diagnosed with ADHD. It was a Neurologist who diagnosed him.
I am just wondering what things have helped you in dealing with behaviours?
if and what food triggers your child?
medications and natural remidies that work?
and does it ever get easier?
I have been so upset the last week I feel like I am going insane with all the information on the web...I have been researching different tecniques used and ray ray ray... I am feeling very overwhelmed with the diagnosis... I knew that something was different and the teachers and his ped had all told me what they thought it was... but IT'S REAL NOW... I am just a mess about it I thought it would be a breeze. but it's really hard to all take in... any advice would be very helpful!

Moma_bear

Asked by Moma_bear at 11:40 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I DEFITELY second the omegas and the Artificial-Dye/Color-Free Diet. They actually considered banning artificial colors in the UK after a study proved they can cause hyperactivity in children. This has made a huge difference for my son (he has autism but was very hyperactive). Also, you could try adjusting his schedule so that he gets a little more sleep every night (try an hour) and see if that helps. If my son gets ANY less sleep than he requires (which is a bit more than other kids his age) then you can really tell b/c he gets more hyperactive.
    You could find a naturopathic doctor in your area to suggest other supplements. Good luck!
    Norest4mommy

Answer by Norest4mommy at 1:12 PM on Apr. 2, 2009

• i have a seven year old with ADHD and i had to hold him back last year in 1st grade last year he made F's in English and Reading this year he has made all A's since i put him on medicine i was one of these mama's who swore i would never put my child on medicine but i can see the complete improvement he told me after going on medicine mama i can now focus on one thing before my mind had so much going on i could not understand anything because i had so many things happening at one time also his behavior has got so much better before he would be very mean to his three younger brothers but now he has became more controlled now my five year od has ADHD also but i will not put him on medicine until he is 6 i think he is to young because he is all boy but i never saw any type of food that brought it out the only thinkg i can say about my situation is that the medicine works
    MAMAOFDBAC

Answer by MAMAOFDBAC at 1:54 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My 8 year old has ADHD. She was diagnosed at 5. She is not medicated. A few things have helps. Increasing Omega 3's made a huge difference. WHen I forget to make sure she is getting enough it's very obvious. I took all the dyes out of her diet as well. I also talk to her a lot! When she does things that aren't appropiate(she spoke loudly, moved far too much, has issues sitting quietly, etc.) we talk about how she should have behaved. Not in a way to make her feel badly, I choose my words very carefully. I praise her for all her calm behaviors and she tries very hard to do better. She is improved sooo much! I did medicate her for a short time when she was 6. She was no longer herself. We tried a few types and doses but I wanted her to be her so we have opted not to ever put her on meds.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• how much omega 3 do you give her... dosage?
    Moma_bear

Answer by Moma_bear at 9:49 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• message me. I talked with a lady last pm that has tried a new natural supplement that i can tell you about. It was amazing the improvements she talked about!
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 2:47 PM on Mar. 27, 2009