Not Sure Where to Post This... But Is there Anyone out There with Aging Parents?

My parents are both in their 80's and I am trying to deal with their declining health and other issues while raising my own family. I would love to find a group or even just someone here to talk to about dealing with aging parents.

Thanks!

Dlp11494

Asked by Dlp11494 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Relationships

• My parents are in their 70s They don't drive,I take them everywhere,do all their paper work,lawn work,repairs ( what I can) I have 5 brothers,but I seem to get to do it all.so I feel ya.I try not to complain,because I am thankful I still have them,but if you need to talk,PM me I'm here Good Luck
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• MY MOM IS GOING TO BE 90 IN MAY, SHE JUST FRACTURED HER HIP, AND I THANK GOD I CAN TAKE OF HER, IT IS VERY STRESSFUL, BUT THEY TOOK CARE OF YOU, NOW IT IS YOUR TURN. WHERE I COME FROM (I AM CUBAN) WE TAKE CARE OF OUR OWN, NO NURSING HOME FOR OUR AGING PARENTS, UNLESS IT IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. IF THEY HAVE MEDICARE AND MEDICAID, THE GOVT DOES HELP A LOT WITH NURSES AND CARE GIVERS, MAYBE YOU SHOULD LOOK INTO WHAT IS AVAILABLE FOR THEM.

Answer by older at 11:57 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Well, my parents are both 58 but we recently lost my husband's grandfather. He was 86. He were the ones who took care of him as he was losing his health. He has never had a driver's license. He would always walk to work before he retired. So we took him everywhere he needed to go. He lived alone so we had to make sure we were always checking on him. My husband called him several times a day to see how things were going. We would actually go over there a few times a week too. We lost him on January 31. It was incredibly hard but after seeing how miserable he was at the end, it was almost a blessing. I was very close to him and he had a huge hand in raising my husband so they were incredibly close. So I haven't been there with my parents yet, but I have been there. It's hard.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 11:58 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Thank you all for repsonding! My parents are 86 and have been in fairly good health until recently. I have two brothers who live near them but I am about a 45 minute ride from where they live. My father had at least one small stroke but my parents keep giving me diffferent information on the neurologists diagnosis.

It's just been very frustrating not being able to get information or to just know what to do to help them when they think they don't need any help.

Thanks again!
    Dlp11494

Answer by Dlp11494 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• thats how my grandparents are, my grandpa is VERY sick :[ do you have any other family, like siblings that could help you out with them?
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 12:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Yes, I have two brothers who live near them. They are both pretty busy and try and help, but can't always be there for them. I am about a 45 minute drive away. I wish I lived closer....
    Dlp11494

Answer by Dlp11494 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• let's start one, i have thoes same issue i allowed my husband to go on without me to atlanta, because i did not want to leave my parents, they count on me for ever thing, and i need them as well they are in there early 70's and it is hard because you want to, have to, and need to be there for them and take care of your own family.
    mememommie

Answer by mememommie at 2:15 PM on Mar. 25, 2009