How should I wash dolls that have been in storage for 10 years?

I have recently gone through some boxes that I put in storage 10+ years ago. Most of the dolls say "surface washable" but I want to clean them much better than that! I have a toddler that I would like to share these dolls with (since they were MY dolls when I was little). Some are handmade, some are just generic "Gund". Is it safe to just put them in the washing machine and/or 'air fluff' dryer? Thanks in advance! :)

IamLilysMom

Asked by IamLilysMom at 11:44 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I do that with any soft dolls...if it's got a plastic surface, then I wouldn't put it any where near the dryer at all. Just string it up with some clothespins and let it dry that way. My dryer heats up a little even on air fluff. Just make sure they've completly dried...
    CillaTexas

Answer by CillaTexas at 11:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I would be careful with the ones that say surface washable only. Perhaps surface washing them and then fluffing them in the dryer to help get the rest of the dust out. That's what my mom does. Sometimes the material doesn't handle real washing, so do test spots first....
    MommyinAustin

Answer by MommyinAustin at 4:56 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• When I had the Mr. Bun Bun problems someone told me that you are suppose to wash stuffed things in a pillow case, sealed up with other stuffed things. I think though I am going to have Mr. Bun Bun dry cleaned here in the next week or so! After what happened last time I washed him, I'm afraid to put him back in the washer. You could always hand wash them in the sink as well and then hang them outside to dry if this weather ever leaves us.
    Anonymous