ADHD in 3 year olds?

Just curious if anyone knew like when their child first had adhd. we have had several drs letting us know that my son has a very hyper disorder named adhd. but, i guess its hard for me to know if there are actually others out there that knew this young. please help!!

alc03

Asked by alc03 at 11:45 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think all toddlers have ADHD...lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Don't you think he is a little to young to be diagnosed with ADHD..Most kids that age are hyper/bounce off the walls typy energy. I personly would not give the meds to a 3 year old.

Answer by louise2 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• All 3 year olds are hyper and have no attention. That is way to early to be diagnosing it!
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I think this is too young. It is only a problem if it is interfering with the child's ability to behave and learn in school. At 3 yrs old it is too young to know if that is a problem.
    My younger son has some behavior problems that I thought were going to be a problem for him at school. As it turns out, he is able to keep it together and follow the rules and not be disruptive at school. Wait a couple of years and watch him before slapping a label on him. And maybe get another doctor as well!
    You may also want to look at his diet. Some kids are sensitive to artificial dyes, colors, preservatives etc. Some react to dairy. My son can't have gluten (wheat rye barley). His behavior is 100 times worse if he accidently gets some wheat!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Way too early for a diagnosis!
    BubNSoap

Answer by BubNSoap at 1:02 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• It's not impossible to have a diagnosis this early, provided he's in a school setting. If not, if he's only acting out at home, then I would not accept a diagnosis just yet.

ADHD symptoms have to be present in all settings...home, school, social, etc. Keep in mind that ADHD is NOT diagnosed by a pediatrician. It's usually diagnosed by a developmental pediatrician and/or psychologist or psychiatrist.

It isn't usually diagnosed until later once they are in school. However, it does happen younger in extreme cases.

Yes, all toddlers are usually hyper. However, there is a difference between typical toddler behavior and ADHD.

Live with it, and you'll easily know the difference.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:08 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• My son was 36 months old when the daycare center "suggested" that we get him tested with the special education department. They in turn told me that he was at an 8 year old level cognitively but had "some issues" that I should seek involvement with a psychologist. We then had him evaulated with the psychology dept at our local children's hospital. They diagnosed him with ADHD and oppositional defiant disorder. Since then we have seen a very well-respected neuro-developmental pediatrician who has made some additional diagnoses. He has advised me that you cannot truly diagnose Bi-polar or Asperger's Syndrome or high functioning autism until around 3rd grade.

If you have a child like mine -- you can distinctly see the difference between just "being 3" and having a problem that needs to be addressed.

He is 5 now. He is not medicated.
    LadyZazz

Answer by LadyZazz at 2:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• my oldest was ADHD at age 3 then it was Autism at age 11
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 3:28 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• if both parents have adhd or even one has it, then there is a possibility of having adhd and finding out at a young age such as this. I dont think I would go for the meds right now though, i would try and do what I could to help him deal with his frustration level. If you have been given a solid diagnosis then I would also contact your school district and ask them to send someone out to begin services for your child, not that they will do it, but its your right for your child to recieve services for any disability, and now would be a good time to learn strategies for handling the adhd, for you and for your child.
    pinkcalla721

Answer by pinkcalla721 at 1:59 AM on Mar. 26, 2009

• Try giving him an extra hour of sleep a night, and cut out all artificial colors (they show up on the ingredient lists as something like red #4 or yellow #6, etc) for 3 weeks, and see if his hyperactivity improves. This has made a HUGE difference for our son. Best of luck!
    Anonymous