Whats a good way to get ready for a newborn?

I'm 21weeks pregnant. Everything has been fine (except severe morning sickness) I have been reading some strange questions about newborns. And i already know its gonna be hard and loud and tiring. But, i want to prepare myself for that. You know? I want to get ready to get up in the middle of the night, get tired and go to soothe the baby. Is there anyway i could do this while im pregnant and there is curently no baby around.

mum-to-be-at-18

Asked by mum-to-be-at-18 at 11:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My advice is just get as much sleep as you can now and when the baby comes all the waking up and hard stuff will seem to come natural, you'll be surprised.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 11:48 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• No, No, No, before the baby comes you need to sleep, when he or she is born you will adjust to getting up- well sort of- you will adjust to the sleep deprivation. If you are afraid of not waking up get a good monitor or plan for the baby to be in your room.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• The end of your pregnancy will prep you by making you pee 3 times a night and being so uncomfortable you can't sleep anyway. Get ALL the sleep you can now because it could be years before you sleep again! I'm serious! This baby will rock your world in every possible way no matter how hard you prep, so what I would do instead, is ENJOY this time. Pamper yourself, rest, read books, go to movies, go out to dinner to places that don't serve happy meals =) Really. You have about 19 more weeks to focus on just you and another 18+ years to focus on that little squirt inside...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:50 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I wouldnt do it, right now you are going to need all the rest you can get. And you are pregnant, so you are doubly tired right now too. Just when the baby gets here, sleep when the baby sleeps, even if it is for 2 hour intervals all day and night. You will not need practice getting up in the middle of the night I promise, you will be so atuned to your baby trhat every wimper will have you rushing to make sure all is well.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:50 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• I just want to make sure i am being the best mummy i can be. I don't want to complain. I guess i know i will. But, i just really want to get trying.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• stay up all night, yell at DH a lot, pull your hair out and get used to nobody coming over! :]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 11:51 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Thanks you guys. I am getting a lot of rest, but i feel like i could be doing more in my time awake. I'm not working or anyting. I'm just sat at home rubbing my belly and logging on to cafemom.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 11:53 AM on Mar. 25, 2009

• Think about your life now and NEVER forget it cuz things will never be the same. :o)
    Bethe333

Answer by Bethe333 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• What helped me most, that I learned with baby #1 was how to safely sleep with my baby so that I could nurse my baby and meet his needs during the night without me having to get up. It took me a few months to figure this out with the first. With the second, he went straight into my bed when he came home! As the babies got older my husband would often ask "Did the baby nurse much during the night" and I would usually answer "I don't know". Check out "Should I sleep with my baby?" at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/cosleep.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:11 PM on Mar. 25, 2009

• your body prepares itself with the three+ trips to the potty at night in the end... rest while you re able too, and practice your one handed typing!
    Anonymous